using print() with multiprocessing and pythonw

Isaac Gerg

I launch my program with pythonw and begin it with the code below so that all my print()'s go to the log file specified.

if sys.executable.find('pythonw') >=0:
# Redirect all console output to file.
sys.stdout = open("pythonw - stdout stderr.log",'w')
sys.stderr = sys.stdout

During the course of my program, I call multiprocessing.Process() and launch a function several times. That function has print()'s inside (which are from warnings being printed by python). This printing causes the multiprocess to crash. How can I fix my code so that the print()'s are supressed. Iwould hate to do a warnings.filterwarnings('ignore') because when I unit test those functions, the warnings dont appear.

Thanks in advance,
Isaac

Isaac Gerg

Thanks for the reply Bill. The problem is the text i am getting is from a python warning message, not one of my own print() function calls.

Chris Angelico

Thanks for the reply Bill. The problem is the text i am getting is from a python warning message, not one of my own print() function calls.

Since sys.stdout is just an object, you could replace it with
something that redirects its write() calls to the logging function.
Might be a bit hacky, but it should work.

BTW, "sys.executable.find('pythonw') >=0" should be able to be spelled
"'pythonw' in sys.executable".

ChrisA