Using Process class to run client executable?

Kathy Burke

Hi, I'm trying to open an executable file from intranet asp.net page in
..Net 1.1. The following code fires but hangs after processing for about
45 seconds (no error message, just hangs).

Dim p As System.Diagnostics.Process = New Process()
p.StartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = False
p.StartInfo.FileName = "C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\wfica32.exe"
p.StartInfo.Arguments = "vbciq.ica"
p.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = False 'also tried True
p.Start()
p.WaitForExit()
p.Dispose()

New to the Process class, not even sure if this is how I should go about
this. The .ica (Citrix) file should open a DOS command window...don't
know where to go from here.

Any help appreciated.

Kathy

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Your strategy will not work to run an executable on the client.
The code you listed attempts to run code on the server.
To run code on the client you'll need to use client side code (such as
VBScript or Javascript) or you'll need to deploy a .NET code assembly to the
client.

Kathy Burke

Thanks, Steve.

Could you PLEASE point me to a javascript example of opening an
application from with asp.net but in its own command window? I've tried
window.open with the file as the url, but no luck (that would be a
browser window of course so it wouldn't work.

???

Thanks again.

Kathy