Using python as client-side scripting language in IE 6

popov

I try with no luck to use python in a simple html page:

<script language="Python">
window.alert('test')
window.document.write('test')
</script>

When opened in IE6 SP1, that does nothing (no error but no message box
/ nothing written in the page).

I ran win32comext\axscript\client\pyscript.py and pyscript_rexec.py to
register python as a scripting engine. No errors from those scripts.

As I understand it and from what I have read in this forum and
elsewhere, it should work, but it doesn't: what am I doing wrong ?

Note: I have installed the latest win32all extensions (163) / I'm
working on a W2K Server box (SP3).

John Roth

popov said:
I try with no luck to use python in a simple html page:

<script language="Python">
window.alert('test')
window.document.write('test')
</script>

When opened in IE6 SP1, that does nothing (no error but no message box
/ nothing written in the page).

I ran win32comext\axscript\client\pyscript.py and pyscript_rexec.py to
register python as a scripting engine. No errors from those scripts.

As I understand it and from what I have read in this forum and
elsewhere, it should work, but it doesn't: what am I doing wrong ?

Note: I have installed the latest win32all extensions (163) / I'm
working on a W2K Server box (SP3).

I doubt if it will work for a while. It doesn't work on my system
either, and a quick check of the pyscript_rexec.py module says
that it will enable Rexec support. Rexec support was removed from
base Python in release 2.2.3 and later, so I doubt if this is ever
going to work until ActiveState (or Mark Hammond) changes the
base code to use Exec instead of RExec.

John Roth

Peter Hansen

John said:
I doubt if it will work for a while. It doesn't work on my system
either, and a quick check of the pyscript_rexec.py module says
that it will enable Rexec support. Rexec support was removed from
base Python in release 2.2.3 and later, so I doubt if this is ever
going to work until ActiveState (or Mark Hammond) changes the
base code to use Exec instead of RExec.

I was just trying this myself and had the same lack of results.
I note however that while pyscript_rexec.py uses the Rexec support
and might not work for reasons John describes, pyscript.py claims not
to do that, and seems to be supposed to work. Yet it doesn't....

Anyone tried this lately with success?

For the record, I was trying on a vanilla Win98 machine with Py2.3.2.1
and the latest win32all as well. (The relevant test scripts execute
okay, showing that the issue is with IE alone, not with the basic
capability that allows ActiveX script hosting with Python.)

-Peter

John McLaughlin

Hi,

Yes I have this working. Do this at your own risk:
Add the following to pyscript.py after the AXNotRExec class definition
(around line 89):
AXRExec = AXNotRExec

Then register with
python pyscript_rexec.py --debug
^^^^^^ (must be the rexec version).
You may have to unregister any other versions first:
python pyscript.py --unregister

Cheers,
-John