Using python code from Java?

fortepianissimo

Is there a solution to enable Java programmers to call functions
written in Python? Any wrapper generator that wraps Python code into
some Java-callable form?

I briefly looked at Jython, but if I understand it right, it didn't
support full power of Python 2.3.x (which I need).

Any suggestion is welcome!

Diez B. Roggisch

fortepianissimo said:
Is there a solution to enable Java programmers to call functions
written in Python? Any wrapper generator that wraps Python code into
some Java-callable form?

I briefly looked at Jython, but if I understand it right, it didn't
support full power of Python 2.3.x (which I need).

Any suggestion is welcome!

CORBA or any other RPC mechanism supported by both python & Java springs
to mind.

Waiting for jython2.3 might be an option, too - things are pretty much
on the move right now.

Diez

fortepianissimo

Diez said:
CORBA or any other RPC mechanism supported by both python & Java springs
to mind.

Thanks for the tip - but anything tighter than that? Dealing with
multiple servers within one application is a bit too much for my
project...
Waiting for jython2.3 might be an option, too - things are pretty much
on the move right now.

Any idea how soon that will be?

Thanks!

Nick Vatamaniuc

I can't think of any project that does that. Calling stuff from Java is
not easy to beging with you have to go through the native interface
(JNI) anyway.

I would suggest instead to create some kind of a protocol and let the
applications talk using an external channel (a FIFO pipe file, a socket
or just any network connection.) Usually when you go back and forth
between languages you don't really need a particular class object
(because class objects are quite different between languages) but what
you need is to have data passed back and forth and have both sides
interpret the data and process it. This sort of sounds like a protocol
and it is. Depending on how easy vs. extensible vs. comprehensible your
project is you could of course use XML RPC but that could get
complicated.

If you have extra time and desire you can of course contribute and
help bring Jython to 2.3, they can always use some help...

Nick V.

Ray

fortepianissimo said:
Any idea how soon that will be?

If you just want to use Java to call Python, you can use Jython 2.1
too. Jython 2.2 is in (active) development right now, and hopefully a
beta will come out soon.