    and if anyone is interested in learning more about this project (we've
    got some nifty things planned), or if you wanna help, give a shout ;]

    , Nov 14, 2007

  2. 2007/11/14, <>:
    > Hello, I'm a teen trying to do my part in improving the world, and me
    > and my pal came up with some concepts to improve the transportation
    > system.
    >
    > I have googled up and down for examples of using python to create a
    > city street but I can not find any.
    >
    > my objective is to replicate a section of los angeles using python,
    > and program the street lights and cars and whatnot. Should I be
    > looking towards 3D to do this?
    >
    > so here is MY question:
    > how would you replicate a street intersection in python? and
    > furthermore, how would you do you have the cars move up and down those
    > "streets".
    >
    > my question to YOU is:
    > can you point me in the right direction? I will search on my own, but
    > I would greatly appreciate any help :)
    >
    > and if anyone is interested in learning more about this project (we've
    > got some nifty things planned), or if you wanna help, give a shout ;]

    It seems you are looking something to build an user interface. You
    could do such thing in tkinter, for example. You would "move" cars by
    redrawing them in other positions after time.

    But besides doing these drawings, you will be doing a lot of math to
    improve the transportation system. The drawings will be just a
    representation of what you calculate, I dont see why it would be
    important to do it in 3d right now.

    --
    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    Guilherme Polo, Nov 14, 2007

  3. wrote:

    > Hello, I'm a teen trying to do my part in improving the world, and me
    > and my pal came up with some concepts to improve the transportation
    > system.
    >
    > I have googled up and down for examples of using python to create a
    > city street but I can not find any.
    >
    > my objective is to replicate a section of los angeles using python,
    > and program the street lights and cars and whatnot. Should I be
    > looking towards 3D to do this?
    >
    > so here is MY question:
    > how would you replicate a street intersection in python? and
    > furthermore, how would you do you have the cars move up and down those
    > "streets".
    >
    > my question to YOU is:
    > can you point me in the right direction? I will search on my own, but
    > I would greatly appreciate any help :)
    >
    > and if anyone is interested in learning more about this project (we've
    > got some nifty things planned), or if you wanna help, give a shout ;]

    It's hard to tell you what to do with so sparse information about what you
    try to accomplish in the end.

    Of course if you want to have more or less realistic imaging for whatever
    purpose, 3D is the way to go. If you are after traffic-simulations, it's
    unneeded complexity.

    Regarding the "moving cars": you can also go from simply defining paths cars
    can take and parametrize these to full-blown physics - depending on what
    you want.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Nov 14, 2007

    On Nov 14, 4:09 am, wrote:

    > my question to YOU is:
    > can you point me in the right direction? I will search on my own, but
    > I would greatly appreciate any help :)

    have a look at http://simpy.sourceforge.net/ for the simulation part

    , Nov 14, 2007
  5. On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:01:40 +0100, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I'm a teen trying to do my part in improving the world, and me
    >> and my pal came up with some concepts to improve the transportation
    >> system.

    > […]
    >
    > Of course if you want to have more or less realistic imaging for whatever
    > purpose, 3D is the way to go. If you are after traffic-simulations, it's
    > unneeded complexity.

    Not if their solution includes flying buses and taxis. Or this pneumatic
    delivery system for people from `Futurama`. ;-)

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Nov 14, 2007
  6. Ant Guest

    On Nov 14, 3:09 am, wrote:
    > so here is MY question:
    > how would you replicate a street intersection in python? and
    > furthermore, how would you do you have the cars move up and down those
    > "streets".

    I've never used it, but I'd have thought that pygame would satisfy the
    graphical side of things.

    --
    Ant

    Ant, Nov 14, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > Hello, I'm a teen trying to do my part in improving the world, and me
    > and my pal came up with some concepts to improve the transportation
    > system.
    >
    > I have googled up and down for examples of using python to create a
    > city street but I can not find any.

    http://www.gis.usu.edu/~sanduku/public_html/dissertation/outline/node23.html

    """Automobile traffic has a very extensive body of literature involving
    simulation. Most people in the industrialized world deal with automobile traffic
    on a daily basis, and many studies are funded annually to alleviate existing or
    potential traffic problems. Several academic journals are dedicated exclusively
    to automobile traffic dynamics, new textbooks on the subject are published
    regularly, and the number of articles published each year dealing with
    automobile traffic number in the hundreds.
    """

    while they may not be in Python, I'm sure you can find modeling systems to do a
    you want to do for far less effort than it would take to re-create them from
    scratch.

    --
    Speech-recognition in use. It makes mistakes, I correct some.

    Eric S. Johansson, Nov 14, 2007
  8. wrote:
    > my objective is to replicate a section of los angeles using python,
    > and program the street lights and cars and whatnot. Should I be
    > looking towards 3D to do this?
    >
    > so here is MY question:
    > how would you replicate a street intersection in python? and
    > furthermore, how would you do you have the cars move up and down those
    > "streets".
    >
    > my question to YOU is:
    > can you point me in the right direction? I will search on my own, but
    > I would greatly appreciate any help :)

    If you do want to do this in 3-D, try out VPython. More than any other
    3-D system I've seen, it allows you to concentrate more on your problem,
    and let it handle most of the 3-D rendering calculations as you are
    learning how to use it.

    -Scott David Daniels

    Scott David Daniels, Nov 14, 2007
  9. scripteaze Guest

    On Nov 14, 7:42 am, Scott David Daniels <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > my objective is to replicate a section of los angeles using python,
    > > and program the street lights and cars and whatnot. Should I be
    > > looking towards 3D to do this?

    > > so here is MY question:
    > > how would you replicate a street intersection in python? and
    > > furthermore, how would you do you have the cars move up and down those
    > > "streets".

    > > my question to YOU is:
    > > can you point me in the right direction? I will search on my own, but
    > > I would greatly appreciate any help :)

    > If you do want to do this in 3-D, try out VPython. More than any other
    > 3-D system I've seen, it allows you to concentrate more on your problem,
    > and let it handle most of the 3-D rendering calculations as you are
    > learning how to use it.
    >
    > -Scott David Daniels

    Although, i am quite the python noob, pygame would be the way to go

    scripteaze, Nov 14, 2007

    On Nov 14, 5:38 am, "Sells, Fred" <>
    wrote:
    > It sounds as if this project is a major task based on your current level of experience. That being said, all we "pythonistas" encourage and support anyone who is trying to learn/apply python.
    >
    > Break the problem into 2 parts:
    > --simulation math of what you're trying to do
    > --cool visual display (2D is sufficient) to make it interesting and so others can grasp what you did
    >
    > Then the math drives the display, but you can build and test the math using text output.
    >
    > pygame and pysim are good candidates. There is alsowww.vpython.org. Make sure you find some tutorial on object oriented programming "OOP" because that's the way to build this critter.
    >
    > I'm assuming you have a fairly powerful PC, if so you need a decent development environment. google for python IDE or check at python.org. I use Eclipse + PyDev (both free) although there is a wide difference of opinion on IDE's.
    >
    > Remember to eat the elephant one byte at a time. i.e. small steps.

    ah, great advice. thanks very much.

    thank you to everyone for helping :)

    , Nov 14, 2007