    Has anyone used python to deploy (non-python) software on a Windows
    network?
    , Dec 29, 2004

  2. Anand Guest

    I haven't but one of my friends have used Pyro (Python Remote Objects)
    to do so.

    You basically need to write a custom Pyro server and run it on a
    central machine. Your pyro clients can be installed on the machines
    where the software need to be installed.

    For more details and similar ideas refer the project page of pyro at
    http://pyro.sourceforge.net/projects.html .

    -Anand
    Anand, Dec 29, 2004

    Sounds interesting.

    Do you know if he/she would be willing to share the code?

    Anand wrote:
    > I haven't but one of my friends have used Pyro (Python Remote

    Objects)
    > to do so.
    >
    > You basically need to write a custom Pyro server and run it on a
    > central machine. Your pyro clients can be installed on the machines
    > where the software need to be installed.
    >
    > For more details and similar ideas refer the project page of pyro at
    > http://pyro.sourceforge.net/projects.html .
    >
    > -Anand
    , Dec 29, 2004

    Would the pyro client need to be installed as a service on the machine
    so it could run the installer as the system acct? Otherwise, it would
    run with the current user's credentials.

    Anand wrote:
    > I haven't but one of my friends have used Pyro (Python Remote

    Objects)
    > to do so.
    >
    > You basically need to write a custom Pyro server and run it on a
    > central machine. Your pyro clients can be installed on the machines
    > where the software need to be installed.
    >
    > For more details and similar ideas refer the project page of pyro at
    > http://pyro.sourceforge.net/projects.html .
    >
    > -Anand
    , Dec 29, 2004
  5. it's me Guest

    pyro is most intriguing! Thanks for the information.

    it's me, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Anand Guest

    Hmm... did not watch this thread.

    Regarding sharing code, well I am sure you will be able to quickly
    produce some working client/server using Pyro for doing your task. Pyro
    makes it very easy to do RMI due to its network broadcast way of
    querying the name server.

    If you are not able to make any headway, mail me and I can give you his
    email address.

    Rgds

    -Anand
    Anand, Jan 5, 2005