Using Python to start SNMP service on remote XP hosts...

KDawg44

Hi,

I am very new to Python and really just began studying and using it.
I read that it was relatively easy to interact with Windows machines
with Python and I am desperately looking for something to replace
VBScript (not a big fan).

I am currently deploying a Gentoo Linux SNMP server running Cacti in
my network and would like my XP machines to report traps to this box.
The SNMP service is not running by default on the machines in the
network and instead of going to each one at a time, I thought I could
write a script.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I go about accomplishing
this?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

kyosohma

Hi,

I am very new to Python and really just began studying and using it.
I read that it was relatively easy to interact with Windows machines
with Python and I am desperately looking for something to replace
VBScript (not a big fan).

I am currently deploying a Gentoo Linux SNMP server running Cacti in
my network and would like my XP machines to report traps to this box.
The SNMP service is not running by default on the machines in the
network and instead of going to each one at a time, I thought I could
write a script.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I go about accomplishing
this?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

It looks like you can use Tim Golden's WMI module to do what you need.
See this other post for info:

You'll have to find out the exact name of the service, loop through
and use an IF to test for it and when it is found, try starting it.

Mike