Using Python to verify streaming tv/radio station links

Discussion in 'Python' started by donnyf@gmail.com, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi guys. I've put together a website ( http://worldwidemediaproject.com
    ) that is a database of internet streaming tv/radio stations from
    around the world. I have built the site with all users in mind. The
    site should be Linux, Unix, Mac, Win, etc friendly as I do not hide
    the actual stream link or force the user to use an embedded player to
    view/listen to the streams. In fact, you can even download the streams
    you like as a playlist that you can load into your player of choice
    (and even a few PVR software plugins).

    In building the site, I have enabled the user to report stations that
    are nonfunctional. In addition to this, I would like to automate the
    checking of the links in the database as well as any user submitted
    links. What I am wanting to do is to script this with a simple for
    loop which would loop through a file containing the station stream
    link as well as the station id. I'd like to pass each through some
    kind of verification function and if a connection is made then the
    stream is good and move on to the next. If the connection fails then
    the stream is bad, I would like to add the station id to a file
    containing all 'nonfunctional' streams that I can later automate to
    flag the stations.

    Is there an easy way to use python to verify a stream exists? I've
    done a little experimenting with sockets and was able to connect to my
    usenet server and talk to it, but I don't really know what's involved
    with connecting to streaming windows media, real media and winamp
    servers or what to expect as far as connection status messages. I am
    not unfamiliar with python, but I am far from an expert. If anyone
    could give me a hand with this or give me a push in the right
    direction I would greatly appreciate it!

    Many thanks!

    , Apr 29, 2008

    On Apr 29, 1:52 pm, wrote:
    > Hi guys. I've put together a website (http://worldwidemediaproject.com
    > ) that is a database of internet streaming tv/radio stations from
    > around the world. I have built the site with all users in mind. The
    > site should be Linux, Unix, Mac, Win, etc friendly as I do not hide
    > the actual stream link or force the user to use an embedded player to
    > view/listen to the streams. In fact, you can even download the streams
    > you like as a playlist that you can load into your player of choice
    > (and even a few PVR software plugins).
    >
    > In building the site, I have enabled the user to report stations that
    > are nonfunctional. In addition to this, I would like to automate the
    > checking of the links in the database as well as any user submitted
    > links. What I am wanting to do is to script this with a simple for
    > loop which would loop through a file containing the station stream
    > link as well as the station id. I'd like to pass each through some
    > kind of verification function and if a connection is made then the
    > stream is good and move on to the next. If the connection fails then
    > the stream is bad, I would like to add the station id to a file
    > containing all 'nonfunctional' streams that I can later automate to
    > flag the stations.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to use python to verify a stream exists? I've
    > done a little experimenting with sockets and was able to connect to my
    > usenet server and talk to it, but I don't really know what's involved
    > with connecting to streaming windows media, real media and winamp
    > servers or what to expect as far as connection status messages. I am
    > not unfamiliar with python, but I am far from an expert. If anyone
    > could give me a hand with this or give me a push in the right
    > direction I would greatly appreciate it!
    >
    > Many thanks!

    Hey!

    With regards checking feeds, look into urllib (maybe) and the httplib
    (definitely). They /could/ offer some sort of information regarding
    the activity of your feeds. Without knowing anything about the
    streaming protocols I wouldn't suggest my methods to necessarily be
    the most helpful. You could, at least [maybe], establish whether a
    feed is active if it can return a HTTP 200 response. If that's a
    sufficient check I would suggest that httplib is the place to start.

    Alex.

    , Apr 29, 2008

    On Apr 29, 10:11 am, wrote:
    > Hey!
    >
    > With regards checking feeds, look into urllib (maybe) and the httplib
    > (definitely). They /could/ offer some sort of information regarding
    > the activity of your feeds. Without knowing anything about the
    > streaming protocols I wouldn't suggest my methods to necessarily be
    > the most helpful. You could, at least [maybe], establish whether a
    > feed is active if it can return a HTTP 200 response. If that's a
    > sufficient check I would suggest that httplib is the place to start.
    >
    > Alex.

    Thanks for the reply. I'm not so sure that httplib is going to work
    as most of these are not http urls. Here's a handful of examples that
    maybe someone could use to give me an idea of how to accomplish what
    I'm trying to do.

    Here's a list of the various types of media links I have in my
    database (all working):

    http://www.dradio.de/streaming/dkultur_hq_ogg.m3u
    http://200.29.92.21/ucvtv
    http://www.ampmedia.org/asx/marina25.asx
    http://www.jazz.fm/streaming/JAZZFM91.pls
    mms://144.122.56.15/ODTU-TV
    rtsp://200.79.7.137/broadcast/tv.rm

    The httplib approach may work the http urls, but what about the mms
    and rsp 'protocols'?

    Please remember that I only know enough to be dangerous and that I'm
    much more a hacker than I am a programmer. As always, any help is
    greatly appreciated!

    , May 9, 2008