using python2.6 on windows without installation

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mirko Vogt, Apr 29, 2010.

  1. Mirko Vogt

    Mirko Vogt Guest

    Hey,

    is there a way to use python2.6 without having used the installation
    routine?

    When I install python2.6 and copy over the python-directory (C:\programs
    \python2.6) to another windows host and trying to execute python.exe
    there, I get an error that python26.dll could not be found.

    On the host where I used the installation routine, python26.dll is
    stored in C:\windows\system32 which (obviously) isn't on the host where
    I just copied the python directory to.

    Is it possible to include python26.dll in the application folder or tell
    python not to look in C:\windows\system32 for its library?

    Backround is: I'd like to put the python directory on a share which is
    mounted by several windows hosts.
    That way I do not need to touch every windows host when I'm going to
    update a python installation but just the one which is sharing it to all
    others.

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    mirko

    If you want to get in contact with me personally, please mail to:
    mirko.vogt <at> nanl <dot> de

    Mirko Vogt, Apr 29, 2010

  2. Mirko Vogt

    Miki Guest

    > Is it possible to include python26.dll in the application folder or
    tell
    > python not to look in C:\windows\system32 for its library?

    The needed DLLs should be in the PATH. The simplest way is to place
    all
    the required DLLs next to the python executable.

    You can use http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to find out which DLLs
    are needed.

    HTH,
    --