Using qt ruby

flukus

I'm not particularly new to ruby or QT but I'm having trouble getting
the two to work nicely together.

I have a TextEdit and I'm trying to call setExtraSelections on it.
when I use the getter I get the error:

"Cannot handle 'QList<QTextEdit::ExtraSelection>' as return-type of
QTextEdit::extraSelections (ArgumentError)"

And likewise with the setter:

"Cannot handle 'const QList<QTextEdit::ExtraSelection>&' as argument
of QTextEdit::setExtraSelections"

So how do you deal with Qlists in ruby?

Also a few more general questions, please feel free to point me
somewhere with answers like these but I searched long and hard and
couldn't find any.

Is there an API reference somewhere with rubyized method lists etc?
For instance it took alot of reading and searching to find out the qts
ExtraSelection class should be an OpenStruct.

Any there any more gotchas like the qlist above and how enums are
passed as ints?

Any good documentation anywhere, what I could find online was very
lacking and alot of google searches just turn up change logs.

Stefano Crocco

[...]

Which version of QtRuby are you using? I'm using an old version from KDE4 svn
(I think it's more or less a month old) and I can create a new ExtraSelection,
but my test application crashes when I try to call
Qt::TextEditor.set_extra_selections. At any rate, I suggest you to post this
questions on the Qt/Korundum forum
(http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=723).

As for the documentation, I think you're right, there's not much information
about differences between QtRuby and C++ Qt. Yet, there aren't that many
differences (at least in my opinion).

By the way, I don't think ExtraSelection s should be OpenStruct s. At least in
the version I use, they're instances of Qt::TextEditor::ExtraSelection, just
as in C++. And as far as lists are concerned, I think they're always treated
as ruby Array s.

I hope this helps

Stefano

richard.j.dale

[...]

I changed ExtraSelection to a Ruby Struct for the QtRuby 1.4.10
release, but the QList marshaller for it doesn't work. So I've just
made it an ordinary QtRuby class again in the svn, and added a
marshaller that works. So it will be fixed in the next release of
QtRuby.

I'm hoping to add some docs about QtRuby on the KDE TechBase wiki in
the next month or two, as details about the Qt4 version are a bit
lacking online I'm afraid.

-- Richard

flukus

I changed ExtraSelection to a Ruby Struct for the QtRuby 1.4.10
release, but the QList marshaller for it doesn't work. So I've just
made it an ordinary QtRuby class again in the svn, and added a
marshaller that works. So it will be fixed in the next release of
QtRuby.

I'm hoping to add some docs about QtRuby on the KDE TechBase wiki in
the next month or two, as details about the Qt4 version are a bit
lacking online I'm afraid.

-- Richard

THanks.

So theres no marshaller that works in 1.4.9?

with a bit of trial and error I found the method was an accesor called
extra_selections.