Using redirect instead of forward

teser3

In Tomcat 4.1.27 servlet I am using RequestDispatcher type to forward
a message and get it in JSP. How can I do the same using redirect
instead?

Here is what I have -

Servlet:
request.setAttribute("MyMessage", "Hello");
RequestDispatcher requestDispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher("/
toPage.jsp");
requestDispatcher.forward(request, response);

toPage.jsp
out.println(request.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

Now using redirect would this be the best way?
String myMessage = "Hello";
session.setAttribute("myMessage",myMessage);
response.sendRedirect("­/toPage.jsp");

toPage.jsp
out.println(session.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

Arne Vajhøj

In Tomcat 4.1.27 servlet I am using RequestDispatcher type to forward
a message and get it in JSP. How can I do the same using redirect
instead?

Here is what I have -

Servlet:
request.setAttribute("MyMessage", "Hello");
RequestDispatcher requestDispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher("/
toPage.jsp");
requestDispatcher.forward(request, response);

toPage.jsp
out.println(request.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

Now using redirect would this be the best way?
String myMessage = "Hello";
session.setAttribute("myMessage",myMessage);
response.sendRedirect("­/toPage.jsp");

toPage.jsp
out.println(session.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

I think keeping forward instead of switching to send redirect
is the right way.

Arne

Chris Riesbeck

Lew said:
It is less traffic between client and server to use forward rather than
redirct. You can pass information via the request rather than the
session with forward. You can hang on to server-side resources through
a forward. You stay within the application context with a forward. A
forward is faster, cleaner and easier to control than a redirect.

For my personal webapps, I forward after a GET, but redirect after a
successful POST to send the client to a "here's the current state" page.
The page can be reloaded or gone back to without triggering "this page
contains POSTed data." I much prefer this user experience.