Using remote debugging

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SimonH, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. SimonH

    SimonH Guest

    Hi all,

    I was thinking about setting up a staging server reunning windows 2003 Server.
    Up until now I've always used my local machine to perform development because
    I don't know how to get debugging working on a remote machine. And frankly,
    sometimes getting debugging to work on my own machine can be a total pain
    in the arse.

    But now I'm going to give it a shot.

    Could someone tell me:

    a. What I need to do
    b. Whether I should expect to be up all night pulling my hair out at stupid
    "Cannot Start Debugging" messages!

    Thanks everyone

    Kindest Regards

    Simon

    SimonH, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Hi ,
    First of all to debug remotely u need to install .NET remote debugging
    server components.
    1)To do that when u are running the visual studio .net wizard choose the
    the option for installing full remote server components on the server.
    2) If u have to debug on the server, u need to have a user account there on
    the server with the user added to the debug users group.
    3) The last step is to attach to a remote process from .net ide. Go to tools
    menu, choose debug processes. Choose the process u want to debug.

    Cheers,
    Sowmya

    =?Utf-8?B?U293bWk=?=, Feb 3, 2005

  3. SimonH

    Corey Guest

    You may also want to make sure that the URL of the new site on your
    server is a trusted site. ASP.NET interprets plain IP addresses as
    untrusted and therefore won't allow debugging right away. If you're
    using an IP address to connect to your web project, just add it to
    trusted sites in IE. If you're on a domain controlled network, your
    user account needs to be added to the debugger users group so Windows
    Authentication will trust you to debug remotely.

    Depending on the security settings of your web server, you may also
    want to look at "\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\urlscan\urlscan.ini" and make
    sure to add the verb "DEBUG" to the [AllowVerbs] section.

    Hope this helps.

    Corey, Feb 3, 2005