Using RMI and the FileSystemView class

Helen

Hi

I have two Java applications that communicate via RMI. In the client
application I want to allow the user to specify a file on a server and
then send a job to the server application. The server application
requires the correct path of the file chosen by the user and the
client application requires the IP address of the machine the file
resides on.

In Swing for Java 1.4 it seems the JFileChooser is clever enough to
browse the LAN. However, it is not possible to obtain the IP address
of the machine the file resides on or the correct path due to mounted
file systems etc from the JFileChooser.

To overcome this problem I am going to ask the user to specify in the
preferences for the client application the IP address for all the
servers the may wish to use. Then create a customised JFileChooser
that has a drop down list of the specified server IP addresses. When a
new IP address is selected the event handler will create a stub to a
remote FileSystemView object initiated by the server application. This
new remote FileSystemView object will replace the one currently used
by the JFileChooser.

I don't know if this solution is a bit heavy handed. I also think that
my problem isn't that obscure and someone else must have encountered
it before. If anyone else has an alternate solution that is a lot more
elegant that would be great. Also if you think the above idea is just
not feasible to implement please let me know as I am just about to
start the prototyping phase.

If you haven't guessed already, network programming is something I am
relatively new to so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Helen