    the line #!/usr/bin/erb or #!/usr/bin/local/erb

    So I wonder, can I do something on my own directories so that
    test.rhtml, test.erb, ActiveRecord, and ActiveSupport will work?

    SpringFlowers AutumnMoon, Oct 6, 2007

  2. --pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

    On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 02:05:18AM +0900, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:
    > I wonder how Ruby can be used on a generic ISP right now?
    >=20
    > looks like right now i can use a
    >=20
    > test.rb in my cgi-bin directory, and it is
    > not even checking the #!/usr/bin/ruby line
    >=20
    > and then i tried a test.erb in the cgi-bin or a test.rhtml in the www
    > directory, and neither of them worked.
    >=20
    > the test.erb won't work with
    > the line #!/usr/bin/erb or #!/usr/bin/local/erb
    >=20
    >=20
    > So I wonder, can I do something on my own directories so that
    > test.rhtml, test.erb, ActiveRecord, and ActiveSupport will work?

    If the ISP doesn't have Ruby on their server, there's not very much you
    can do about it...

    --=20
    Benjamin A'Lee <>
    http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/
    "On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr.
    Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers =
    come
    out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that
    could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

    --pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

    --pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw--

    Benjamin A'Lee, Oct 6, 2007

  3. SpringFlowers AutumnMoon

    John Joyce Guest

    On Oct 6, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Benjamin A'Lee wrote:

    > On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 02:05:18AM +0900, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon
    > wrote:
    >> I wonder how Ruby can be used on a generic ISP right now?
    >>
    >> looks like right now i can use a
    >>
    >> test.rb in my cgi-bin directory, and it is
    >> not even checking the #!/usr/bin/ruby line
    >>
    >> and then i tried a test.erb in the cgi-bin or a test.rhtml in the www
    >> directory, and neither of them worked.
    >>
    >> the test.erb won't work with
    >> the line #!/usr/bin/erb or #!/usr/bin/local/erb
    >>

    >> So I wonder, can I do something on my own directories so that
    >> test.rhtml, test.erb, ActiveRecord, and ActiveSupport will work?

    > If the ISP doesn't have Ruby on their server, there's not very much
    > you
    > can do about it...

    Not necessarily, as long as they allow you to compile /install
    software in your directory, you might be able to make it work.
    DreamHost is the common cheap hosting service that everyone and their
    dog has an account with. They have Ruby, but their gems are always
    out of date.
    People commonly install their own gems in their own directory.
    Theoretically you could install your own Ruby in there too. I tried
    it. It works, but it's a lot slower, so I just kept using their binary.

    John Joyce, Oct 7, 2007