Using ruby-openid/ruby-yadis w/o ruby gems

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by George Moschovitis, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. Dear devs,

    I am trying to use the ruby-openid/ruby-yadis gems without ruby gems,
    ie I just copied the lib files in a local lib directory (and placed
    this in the LOAD_PATH). When running the application I get the
    following error:

    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:188:in
    `remove_method': method `description=' not defined in
    Gem::Specification (NameError)
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:
    188:in `overwrite_accessor'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:
    331
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:502
    from ./lib/openid/discovery.rb:7
    from ./lib/openid/consumer.rb:7
    from ./lib/openid.rb:2

    The offending code is:

    require "openid/util"
    require "openid/service"
    require "openid/parse"

    # try and use the yadis gem, falling back to system yadis
    begin
    require 'rubygems' <-------------------------------- HERE !
    require_gem 'ruby-yadis', ">=0.3.3"
    rescue LoadError
    require "yadis"
    end

    I am wondering if any rubygems guru can provide a solution.

    thanks in advance,
    -g.

    George Moschovitis, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Anyone?