Using server-side OCX with ASP.Net Web Service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Lee, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    I am using a library supplied by a third-party vendor. Although the
    library has no UI, the vendor supplies it as an .OCX control.

    I need to utilize this library in an ASP.Net Web Service. My Web
    Service does not expose the OCX control's functionality directly, but
    utilizes the OCX for its own internal purposes.

    What is the best approach here?

    Since I am more familiar with old VB6 than with .Net, I was thinking of
    wrapping the OCX with an ActiveX server written in VB6. This ActiveX
    server would provide the hidden form that the OCX requires. I would
    then utilize the ActiveX server from ASP.Net via interop.

    Does this make sense? How would I do this using just .Net -- without
    getting VB6 involved.

    TIA!
    Lee

    Lee, Mar 30, 2006