    remote possibility granted) of duplicating the state's key..

    Thanks
    jeffpriz

    Jeff, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Jeff) wrote in news:cd5d6d81.0410141235.1b0134e5
    @posting.google.com:

    > It would seem that you could run into troubles pointing several web
    > apps at the same DB, because you would introduce the possibility (a
    > remote possibility granted) of duplicating the state's key..

    How are you generating the key?

    There are several ways to generate unique keys.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Hi Jeff,

    I do this. I always have users log in though and then they can move from
    app to app, server to server. The best thing to do is have all apps use a
    web service to provide state support. If people do not need to be logged in
    then you can still use this but I would still utilize the shared web
    service, that way keys should never be duplicated. And if you are using an
    Idntity field in your SQL table then you should never have a duplicated key.
    Good luck! Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Oct 14, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks for the reply...

    So should i take away from your response, that I would not be able to
    simply point both App's session state at the one database?

    Can I point 2 app's session state there without troubles? or do i have
    to go through a service to handle state.

    Also, i'm confused by your suggestion of using an Identity field..
    I'm not sure off-hand how the InstallPersistSQLState.sql sets up the
    tables, but I doubt I'd get too far by trying to re-work that
    Database.

    I just want to keep session state for 2 apps on a single Session db.

    jeffpriz

    Jeff, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Hi Jeff,

    Sorry, I don't know the answers. I thought you were trying to do some
    custom state thing where you have multiple apps that work together and
    people move in and out of. I would give it a try and see what happens.
    Here is the field that the .SQL creates to identify the session:

    SessionId CHAR(32) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,

    My guess is that it is holding a GUID. GUIDs are rarely duplicated and it
    sounds like this is using a Windows Service. So if both apps are using that
    same service (i.e. they are on the same web server) I would imagine that the
    service would make sure that it didn't duplicate GUIDs and pointing to the
    same DB would be fine. If they were on seperate servers, then the instances
    of the Windows Service handling this wouldn't know about each other and
    therefore couldn't coordinate the usage of unique GUIDs. Then again, if the
    Windows Service first queries the DB to make sure the GUID it generates
    isn't in use then running the apps on muliple servers pointing to the same
    DB should work fine also.

    Anyway, as you can see I have no idea what I'm dealing with here so I can't
    give you an answer. Hopefully this is enough information to let you maybe
    make another post asking specific questions to resolve this. Good luck!
    Ken.

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Oct 15, 2004