using SMB as filesystem mounts

john bailo

I have my rh9 networked on a windows network.

I can see and access net shares using SMB via Nautilus.

Now I want to compile a java application that requires
class files on one of these windows shares.

How does the smb file system appear in my terminal session?

How do I name a share accessed with SMB in $CLASSPATH ?

Gerbrand van Dieijen

I have my rh9 networked on a windows network.

I can see and access net shares using SMB via Nautilus.

Now I want to compile a java application that requires
class files on one of these windows shares.

How does the smb file system appear in my terminal session?

How do I name a share accessed with SMB in $CLASSPATH ?

This does not seem a java question but more a Linux/Windows question.

In the classpath you should just put pathnames that are native for the
OS, so something for C:\blahblah;D:\test.jar for Windows or
/home/someone/:/usr/whatever.jar for Linux.

Nucleon

I have my rh9 networked on a windows network.

I can see and access net shares using SMB via Nautilus.

Now I want to compile a java application that requires
class files on one of these windows shares.

How does the smb file system appear in my terminal session?

cd ~
mkdir samba
smbmount //computer/share samba
# now the share is mapped to ~/samba
smbumount samba
# now it's unmapped

You almost certainly have smbfs compiled as a module to your kernel.
smbmount is an SUID wrapper for mount, which allows you to mount samba
shares under your home directory even though they aren't present in
/etc/fstab, which mount would normally prohibit.

When the share is mounted, it's exactly as if the files are on your hard
drive, so you can put in the classpath as ~/samba/whatever.

--
Nucleon, <[email protected]>
<http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> - Stop fiddling with the volume knob.

If a vendor refuses to submit specs, they're obviously trying a cheesy lock-in
scam and shouldn't be considered anyway.

Davide Consonni

example:
mount -t smbfs -o username=lopster,password=lopster //211.24.110.88/lopster
/mnt/lopster/

Davide