Using SMTP/server-side email capabilities to recieve, process, and return user's materials?

Ken Fine

Is it possible to set up server-side mail services such that when someone
e-mails to a certain address, the contents attached to that mail are
processed and the processed content is returned to the user, again, as an
attachment?

I installed a server-side component for managing graphics. "Wouldn't it be
nice," thought I, "if untutored staff could email graphics to a certain
e-mail address to have them resized and returned to them.")

I understand how to handle the graphics processing and the sending. I don't
understand how to set things up so that e-mailing to a certain address will
trigger the start of an application. Ideally you could do this all within
ASP. Is this possible?

Thanks,
-KF

Invotion

Anything is possible. Of course this falls just outside
the function of IIS.

I think what you would have to do is set up a service to
run on your mail server to monitor the folder where
emails for that box are stored. Any new files in this
folder would need to be parsed and any attachments
discovered. If there was an attachment it could then be
found and processed by your utility.

Sincerely,
Invotion Engineering Team
Advanced Microsoft Hosting Solutions