using system.net.mail attachment is empty

Guest

The following sends my email, but the attachment is empty. The attachment
should contain the data that is in the string that was created from the
xmlReader.

I have a stored procedure written using For XML explicit, and it returns an
xml reader. Then the following:

xmlRdr.MoveToContent();
string myTemp = xmlRdr.ReadOuterXml();

System.IO.MemoryStream memStream = new System.IO.MemoryStream();
StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(memStream);
sw.Write(myTemp);

System.Net.Mail.MailMessage mail = new System.Mail.MailMessage();
mail.From = new System.Net.Mail.MailAddress("i put my email address here");
mail.To.Add("I put my email address here, because it is just a test");
mail.Subject = "This is a test";
mail.Body = "this content is in the body";

System.Net.Mail.Attachment emailAttachment = new
System.Net.Mail.Attachment(memStream, "text/xml");
System.Net.Mime.ContentDisposition contentDispo =
emailAttachment.ContentDisposition;

contentDispo.FileName = "myFirstText.xml";
mail.Attachments.Add(emailAttachment);

System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient smtp = new System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient("smtp.put
myemailservernamehere");
smtp.Send(mail);
memStream.Close();

The above sends the email with an attachment, but the attachment is empty.

Note the xmlReader produces xml with a unique root, so no problem with the
string. I can see the data in the string when I debug, but the attachment
does not have it.

pradeep via DotNetMonster.com

hi,

Try using the following piece of code for filling the memory stream

MemoryStream memStream = new MemoryStream();
UnicodeEncoding encoding = new UnicodeEncoding();
Byte[] byteArray = encoding.GetBytes(myTemp);
memStream.Write(byteArray, 0, byteArray.GetLength(0));
memStream.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);

regards,
pradeep