Using system variable in dtd declaration in an xml file

Discussion in 'XML' started by ezmiller, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. ezmiller

    ezmiller Guest

    I tried the following but it did not work:

    <!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "%XMLNOTESPROJECT%/article_notes.dtd">

    where XMLNOTESPROJECT is a system variable with the path of the dtd
    file.

    Why does this not work?

    This is the response I get when trying to view the xml file in
    iexplorer:

    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error
    and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    The system cannot locate the resource specified. Error processing
    resource '%XMLNOTESPROJECT%article_notes.dtd'. Error pro...

    <!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "%XMLNOTESPROJECT%article_notes.dtd">

    ezmiller, Nov 26, 2005

  2. ezmiller wrote:
    > I tried the following but it did not work:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "%XMLNOTESPROJECT%/article_notes.dtd">
    >
    > where XMLNOTESPROJECT is a system variable with the path of the dtd
    > file.
    >
    > Why does this not work?

    Because the system identifier has to be a URI.

    --
    Johannes Koch
    Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te, Deus Israel.

    Johannes Koch, Nov 26, 2005