Using Table adapters and Grid Controls to update multiple tables.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by darrel, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. darrel

    darrel Guest

    I'm getting the hand of VS.2005 and ASP.net 2.0 by going through a bunch of
    the video tutorials at ASP.net

    The big change for me is using the actual IDE much more than I used to with
    ASP.net 1.0. In the past, I tended to avoid a lot of the built in controls
    and VS's WYSIWYG interface and tended to a lot of custom databinding and
    stringbuilders and the like.

    The demos I've been watching have been great and I've been surprised how
    quickly one can build a fairly decent interface and business layer
    completely within the GUI without writing any codebehind.

    For instance, I've watched the 'to-do task list' demo to create a table that
    stores my tasks, a TableAdapter to get and update the content of teh table,
    and a GridView to show the data and allow a person to edit it. Works great.

    I want to go a step further and not sure how to approach it. I'd like to
    have one of the columns of my GridView bound to a different table. I want
    two tables:

    TASKS:
    id
    name
    completed
    developerID

    DEVELOPERS:
    developerID
    name

    I'd like the gridview to show id, name, completed, developer.name but when
    in EDIT mode, I'd like the developer.name be a DDL list bound to the
    DEVELOPERS table.

    And that's where I'm not sure how to go about it using the IDE itself. I
    don't see a asp:dropDownListField as being an column option within the
    GridView.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 30, 2007