using tcp port via socket on windows 2000 server

seannakasone

Here's a very simple ruby app that will listen to tcp port 9990. It
works on my client windows xp machine, but when i put it on windows
2000 server, it doesn't work. no port filtering is being done, so i'm
assuming that all ports are available. any suggestions? how do i
find out what ports are available.

require 'socket'
sessions = {}
serv=TCPServer.new('localhost',9990)
puts 'Server running...'
while(session = serv.accept)
command = session.gets
puts command
end

Brian Candler

Here's a very simple ruby app that will listen to tcp port 9990. It
works on my client windows xp machine, but when i put it on windows
2000 server, it doesn't work. no port filtering is being done, so i'm
assuming that all ports are available. any suggestions? how do i
find out what ports are available.

require 'socket'
sessions = {}
serv=TCPServer.new('localhost',9990)
puts 'Server running...'
while(session = serv.accept)
command = session.gets
puts command
end

I don't have a Windows 2000 machine, but I think in any case you'll need to
provide more details for anyone to be able to help you. What do you mean by
"it doesn't work"? It could mean:

- the program raises an exception (if so, post the exact error message)

- a client gets 'connection refused' when it tries to connect to port 9990
(if so, this means the server isn't listening on port 9990)

- the client can connect, but when it sends a string, nothing is displayed
on the server

- the server doesn't get as far as printing "Server running..."

- probably a bunch of other failure modes that I haven't thought of.

One easy thing you can try is to use '127.0.0.1' instead of 'localhost'.
Perhaps Windows 2000 doesn't define the name "localhost" for you.

But without seeing a description of the error, it's very hard to help you.
More advice here: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

Regards,

Brian.