Using the IDE directly with my ISP

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Lundrigan, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Since I've had broadband installed I have been using a direct
    connection to my website to modify code on my web application through
    the .NET IDE.

    However, because my ISP only allows local connection to the backend
    SQL server then I have to establish this connection on the aspx pages
    running directly on the website.

    This means that I miss out on a lot of the functionality that is
    available to access SQL server using the IDE toolbox and server
    explorer.

    Is there anyway of moving my programmed connection to the SQL server
    onto the IDE and then using this as if it had been created from the
    toolbox.

    Perhaps I need to go back to development on a local server and then
    uploading to my website.

    Any help will be gratefully received.

    Regards

    John L

    John Lundrigan, Jan 30, 2004

  2. John Lundrigan

    Janaka Guest

    It sounds like you can't access the sql server that is local to your ISP -
    unless you can access this from your connection via TCP/IP. Find out the IP
    address the sql box is on and try establishing a connection from your dev
    machine. If this doesn't work then it looks like its not possible. How
    about installing the SQL Server MSDE edition to test locally instead then?

    Janaka, Jan 30, 2004