Using the IDE directly with my ISP

John Lundrigan

Since I've had broadband installed I have been using a direct
connection to my website to modify code on my web application through
the .NET IDE.

However, because my ISP only allows local connection to the backend
SQL server then I have to establish this connection on the aspx pages
running directly on the website.

This means that I miss out on a lot of the functionality that is
available to access SQL server using the IDE toolbox and server
explorer.

Is there anyway of moving my programmed connection to the SQL server
onto the IDE and then using this as if it had been created from the
toolbox.

Perhaps I need to go back to development on a local server and then
uploading to my website.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Regards

John L

Janaka

It sounds like you can't access the sql server that is local to your ISP -
unless you can access this from your connection via TCP/IP. Find out the IP
address the sql box is on and try establishing a connection from your dev
machine. If this doesn't work then it looks like its not possible. How
about installing the SQL Server MSDE edition to test locally instead then?