Using threads in ASPX objects

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alvin Bruney, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    ..Net is not limited in this way as java.
    ..About the only thing you need to be concerned about is the usual threading
    concurrency issues. Remember too, that thread management gets expensive
    after about 15-20 threads are running simultaneously negating the benefits
    of threading. The usual rules of touching window objects with the created
    thread still applies.

    "David Travis" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am working on a web application, where I should generate at some

    scenarios
    > large amounts of emails. I noticed that the mailing process is pretty

    slow,
    > hence the page loading when these emails are generated is slow too.
    >
    > If I will use threads to execute the mailing process the page will load
    > quickly, and the thread will run in the background producing emails.
    >
    > I know that in Java environment (Servlets) developers are not encouraged

    > use threads in the servlets code, since all threading issues are handled

    by

    Alvin Bruney, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Alvin Bruney

    David Travis Guest

    Hello,

    I am working on a web application, where I should generate at some scenarios
    large amounts of emails. I noticed that the mailing process is pretty slow,
    hence the page loading when these emails are generated is slow too.

    If I will use threads to execute the mailing process the page will load
    quickly, and the thread will run in the background producing emails.

    I know that in Java environment (Servlets) developers are not encouraged to

    David Travis, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Hi,

    agree with previous post and add one more hint: Do not use System.Web.Mail
    for this, its painfully slow, because its using COM Interop to CDONTS (which
    are slow notoriously). Best way is to have MS SMTP installed and generate
    message files directly to Mail Pickup folder, its lots faster.

    I wrote free component for this (QuickMail, see
    http://software.altaircom.net/HomePage.aspx?template=prdinfo&xsl.productid=quickmailer),
    but it's easy DYI. I build upon that list manager software
    (http://palehorse.altaircom.net, <ad>available for sale or rent ;-)</ad>,
    and its working fine for huge lists.

    --
    Michal A. Valasek, Altair Communications, http://www.altaircom.net
    Please do not reply to this e-mail, for contact see http://www.rider.cz

    Michal A. Valasek, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Alvin Bruney

    David Treves Guest

    Ok, thanks for your replies, you were most helpful!

    Thanks,
    Dudi.

    David Treves, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Alvin Bruney

    MS News Guest

    Can it do Attachments?
    What is the .dll written in, what language?

    Thanks

    MS News, Aug 1, 2003