Using threads in ASPX objects

Alvin Bruney

..Net is not limited in this way as java.
..About the only thing you need to be concerned about is the usual threading
concurrency issues. Remember too, that thread management gets expensive
after about 15-20 threads are running simultaneously negating the benefits
of threading. The usual rules of touching window objects with the created
thread still applies.

David Travis

Hello,

I am working on a web application, where I should generate at some scenarios
large amounts of emails. I noticed that the mailing process is pretty slow,
hence the page loading when these emails are generated is slow too.

If I will use threads to execute the mailing process the page will load
quickly, and the thread will run in the background producing emails.

I know that in Java environment (Servlets) developers are not encouraged to
use threads in the servlets code, since all threading issues are handled by
the Servlet Container.

What are the ASP.NET methodologies regarding this matter?

Thanks,
David.

Michal A. Valasek

Hi,

agree with previous post and add one more hint: Do not use System.Web.Mail
for this, its painfully slow, because its using COM Interop to CDONTS (which
are slow notoriously). Best way is to have MS SMTP installed and generate
message files directly to Mail Pickup folder, its lots faster.

I wrote free component for this (QuickMail, see
http://software.altaircom.net/HomePage.aspx?template=prdinfo&xsl.productid=quickmailer),
but it's easy DYI. I build upon that list manager software
(http://palehorse.altaircom.net, <ad>available for sale or rent ;-)</ad>,
and its working fine for huge lists.