using time zones in ASP

connieharper

I have an ASP app that works as an online time clock. The
user logs in and clocks in and out and the app records the
time punches in an access 2000 database. My problem is
this. I just setup a user in the central time zone and
they have reported that when they use the online time
clock, it saves the time as eastern time instead of
central. How can I make the software know which time zone
the user is in?

Ray at

It can't know unless you ask the user to specify his timezone of choice and
then record it somewhere, like a database. I'm pretty sure that timezone
info is not sent in request headers from the browser or anything.

Ray at work

Evertjan.

Ray at said:
It can't know unless you ask the user to specify his timezone of
choice and then record it somewhere, like a database. I'm pretty sure
that timezone info is not sent in request headers from the browser or
anything.

As I wrote here:

<http://groups.google.com/
groups?selm=Xns94BBDA2B9E6F6eejj99%40194.109.133.29>,

it is quite possible to determine the server's and the client's UTC offset
and so it is possible to find the server/client offset and so to
synchronize a clientside javascript clock to the exact server's time.

However this is only usefull if the server has an exact [= atomclock
synchronized] time.

Guest