Using Timing function problem.....

kevin

Hi... I'm having a few problems here...
I want to input in my function different values and then time each one
to see how long it took to run the function... so right now it doesn't
like the "i" inside my function fibonacci(i) but if I put a constant
it's fine....
any idea on how to approach this?
thanks!
Jonathan

The Code:

for i in (range(1,30)):
mytime1 = timeit.Timer( 'fibonacci(i)', 'from prl1 import
fibonacci' )
mytime2 = timeit.Timer( 'fibonacci(i)', 'from prl2 import
fibonacci' )

fib1 = mytime1.timeit(1)
fib2 = mytime2.timeit(1)

The Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "prl3.py", line 23, in ?
fib1 = mytime1.timeit(1)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/timeit.py", line 161, in timeit
timing = self.inner(it, self.timer)
File "<timeit-src>", line 6, in inner
NameError: global name 'i' is not defined

Gabriel Genellina

Hi... I'm having a few problems here...
I want to input in my function different values and then time each one
to see how long it took to run the function... so right now it doesn't
like the "i" inside my function fibonacci(i) but if I put a constant
it's fine....

You have to build the right *string* to be evaluated...
for i in (range(1,30)):
mytime1 = timeit.Timer( 'fibonacci(i)', 'from prl1 import
fibonacci' )

for i in (range(1,30)):
mytime1 = timeit.Timer( 'fibonacci(%d)' % i, 'from prl1
import fibonacci' )

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Jona

Thanks so much! that did it!
you can tell I'm new with python.. lol...
thanks again..
Jonathan