Using /usr/sbin/sendmail in Ruby Script

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dan Sinclair, Nov 19, 2009.

  1. Dan Sinclair

    Dan Sinclair Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!

    I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
    command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
    sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail). The script I have so far
    is this:

    ###################################

    when "email"
    begin
    job_media = ENV['job_media']
    job_reason = ENV['JOB_REASON']
    e_address = get_node_value('post-action-e-address')
    eeemail(job_media, job_reason, e_address)
    end

    ###################################

    def eeemail(job_media, job_reason, e_address)

    RECIPIENT =
    MEDIA = blah
    REASON = job_reason
    SUBJECT = "Engine Admin - Job #{REASON}"

    exec("/usr/sbin/./sendmail #{RECIPIENT} << EOF
    From: "Episode Engine" <>
    Subject: "#{SUBJECT}"

    "Job #{MEDIA} has #{REASON}"
    EOF")

    end

    ###################################

    This script will run when a piece of software my company sell, finishes
    a task. The main thing I'm not getting to work is the:

    exec("/usr/sbin/./sendmail #{RECIPIENT} << EOF
    From: "Episode Engine" <>

    "Job #{MEDIA} has #{REASON}"
    EOF")

    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Dan

    Dan Sinclair, Nov 19, 2009

  2. Dan Sinclair wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!
    >
    > I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
    > command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
    > sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail).

    Why not let Ruby do it all?
    http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail

    Aldric Giacomoni, Nov 19, 2009

  3. Dan Sinclair

    Dan Sinclair Guest

    Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
    > Dan Sinclair wrote:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!
    >>
    >> I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
    >> command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
    >> sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail).

    > Why not let Ruby do it all?
    > http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail

    ...because not all of my customers will have this installed, and as i
    recall from looking at that before, you need to have an SMTP server set
    up too...whereas if i use the sendmail command, it's already to go with
    Mac OS X...

    Regards,

    Dan

    Dan Sinclair, Nov 19, 2009
  4. Dan Sinclair

    Dan Sinclair Guest

    Dan Sinclair wrote:
    > Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
    >> Dan Sinclair wrote:
    >>> Hi Guys,
    >>>
    >>> I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
    >>> command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
    >>> sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail).

    >> Why not let Ruby do it all?
    >> http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail

    > ...because not all of my customers will have this installed, and as i
    > recall from looking at that before, you need to have an SMTP server set
    > up too...whereas if i use the sendmail command, it's already to go with
    > Mac OS X...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dan

    sorry...my bad...looks like i ddin't read up on that specific ruby mail
    add on...it would still be easier however for my customers to not need
    to install something else.

    Regards,

    Dan

    Dan Sinclair, Nov 19, 2009
  5. Dan Sinclair

    Dan Sinclair Guest

    Dan Sinclair wrote:
    > Dan Sinclair wrote:
    >> Aldric Giacomoni wrote:

    >>> Why not let Ruby do it all?
    >>> http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail

    >> ...because not all of my customers will have this installed, and as i
    >> recall from looking at that before, you need to have an SMTP server set
    >> up too...whereas if i use the sendmail command, it's already to go with
    >> Mac OS X...
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dan

    > sorry...my bad...looks like i ddin't read up on that specific ruby mail
    > add on...it would still be easier however for my customers to not need
    > to install something else.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dan

    ...no no my bad on my bad....lol. It DOES need an SMTP server
    configured.

    Regards,

    Dan

    Dan Sinclair, Nov 19, 2009
  6. Dan Sinclair wrote:

    > sorry...my bad...looks like i ddin't read up on that specific ruby mail
    > add on...it would still be easier however for my customers to not need
    > to install something else.

    you could also make your script into a stand-alone executable like such:
    http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/

    But, anyway - how is your code failing? have you tried using 'system'
    instead of 'exec' ?
    http://blog.jayfields.com/2006/06/ruby-kernel-system-exec-and-x.html

    Aldric Giacomoni, Nov 19, 2009