Using Virtual Directory to remote folder

Lamberti Fabrizio

I've created a medium large library of ASP routine and I've published on a
web server part of a NT domain.

Now I need to publish this ASP modules on other web servers part of the same
NT domain.

For not having the problem of synchronization and versioning of ASP modules
on different webservers I've decided to create Virtual Directory pointed to
directories of the first webserver.

What about my solution ?

Is there any other similar solution ?

Is the creation of virtual directory pointed to network share a good idea or
not ?

thx

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

You can do this, but to do so, instead of using the local IUSR account for
your site, you'll have to use a domain account that has rights to access the
remote share.

Or you can look into replication at the OS level.

Ray at work

Lamberti Fabrizio

I know I know.

I'm already using a domain user to setting up this virtual directory.

Thanks for your opinion.

Do you know if officially Microsoft advises or advises against this
procedure ?

Jeff Cochran

I've created a medium large library of ASP routine and I've published on a
web server part of a NT domain.

Now I need to publish this ASP modules on other web servers part of the same
NT domain.

For not having the problem of synchronization and versioning of ASP modules
on different webservers I've decided to create Virtual Directory pointed to
directories of the first webserver.

What about my solution ?

What about it? Did it work? I assume you have the access across
domains issues covered, and are prepared for all sites going down if a
network break on the main server disconnects it, correct?
Is there any other similar solution ?

You could copy them to the other servers.
Is the creation of virtual directory pointed to network share a good idea or
not ?

Centralized control, single point of failure, network access
permission issues. You decide which is more important or relevant to
your setup.

Jeff