Using Visual Slick Edit for Python

Brian Buderman

Anyone know if there is a way to make slickedit tag the built in modules
such as os and sys so that code completion and the like work?

Daniel Dittmar

Brian said:
Anyone know if there is a way to make slickedit tag the built in modules
such as os and sys so that code completion and the like work?

I don't think that this is possible as the docs are in the python
executable. But it should be easy to generate a dummy module:

import sys
for name, entry in sys.__dict__.iteritems ():
if callable (entry):
print '''def %s ():\n\t""""%s""""\n\tpass\n\n''' \
% (name, entry.__doc__)

Put the generated modules in a directory outside of the PYTHONPATH, but
add it to the Python tagging of SlickEdit.

Daniel

P.S. Have you already upgraded to v11 and is there anything worthwhile
in it (Python or otherwise)?

Brian Buderman

Thanks very much. That should work nicely.

We just upgraded to v11, so I'm not yet familiar with all the changes.
The first noticable thing is the UI got a slight enhancement, as it
seems to from one version to the next. I've not used it for Python yet
(really only C so far), so I unfortunately can't speak to that.

jjones

P.S. Have you already upgraded to v11 and is there anything worthwhile
in it (Python or otherwise)?

Hi,

We have just released 11.0.1 where we improve and add new support for
scripting and dynamic languages. A snippet of the press release can be
found below.

SlickEdit v11.0.1 continues to improve support for the Python language
by offering enhanced Context Tagging™, Auto-Completion, Syntax
Indenting, and code navigation.

Thank you,

Jason Jones
SlickEdit