Using VS 2008 Copy Web Site, how can I delete a Remote Connection?

Paul Shapiro

When I use VS 2008's Copy Web Site to deploy a website, it saves each
Connect location and I can choose the one I want from a dropdown list at the
top left of the Copy Web dialog. I have some connections that are no longer
active, and I would like to delete them from the list. Does anyone know how
to do it?

The online help says:
Removing a Connection: Connection information is persisted in Visual Web
Developer. (The connection is live only while you are working with a site.)
If you do not need to connect to a remote site any more, you can remove the
connection information:
1. From the Connect to list, select the connection that you want to remove.
2. Click the Disconnect from currently selected remote site button

When I select an entry in the list, the Disconnect button is greyed out and
unselectable unless I have an open connection to that remote site. When I am
connected to a remote site, clicking the Disconnect button does what it
says- disconnects from the site, but retains the connection item in the
list.

Gregory A. Beamer

[...]

As a wild guess, the worst case is editing the solution file, as it
contains the properties for the site. that is what setting values does,
but if you cannot disconnect with the button, then full removal would be
an option.

Don't have time to test this right now, so examination of the .sln file
is in order. Assuming ASP.NET 2.0 or greater here.

Paul Shapiro

Thank you. It's ASP.Net 3.5. I cannot find any of the copy targets in the
solution file or any other configuration files. I've searched the folders
containing all my project files, and the text is not found. I searched the
registry, also without luck.

The website is built from the source code with a Visual Web Deployment
project. I then open the output pre-compiled website as a new solution. That
solution only contains a top-level solution file and the website. I
right-click the website and choose Copy Website. The list of targets I've
used before is presented, but I can't find a way to edit that list. I can
only select an existing target or create a new one. I right-click the
solution file and choose Open Folder in Windows. The folder contains the
solution file, but the targets are not listed in the solution file.