Using VS 2008 Copy Web Site, how can I delete a Remote Connection?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul Shapiro, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. Paul Shapiro

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    When I use VS 2008's Copy Web Site to deploy a website, it saves each
    Connect location and I can choose the one I want from a dropdown list at the
    top left of the Copy Web dialog. I have some connections that are no longer
    active, and I would like to delete them from the list. Does anyone know how
    to do it?

    The online help says:
    Removing a Connection: Connection information is persisted in Visual Web
    Developer. (The connection is live only while you are working with a site.)
    If you do not need to connect to a remote site any more, you can remove the
    connection information:
    1. From the Connect to list, select the connection that you want to remove.
    2. Click the Disconnect from currently selected remote site button

    When I select an entry in the list, the Disconnect button is greyed out and
    unselectable unless I have an open connection to that remote site. When I am
    connected to a remote site, clicking the Disconnect button does what it
    says- disconnects from the site, but retains the connection item in the
    list.

    Paul Shapiro, Jul 23, 2009

  2. "Paul Shapiro" <> wrote in

    > When I use VS 2008's Copy Web Site to deploy a website, it saves each
    > Connect location and I can choose the one I want from a dropdown list
    > at the top left of the Copy Web dialog. I have some connections that
    > are no longer active, and I would like to delete them from the list.
    > Does anyone know how to do it?
    >
    > The online help says:
    > Removing a Connection: Connection information is persisted in Visual
    > Web Developer. (The connection is live only while you are working with
    > a site.) If you do not need to connect to a remote site any more, you
    > can remove the connection information:
    > 1. From the Connect to list, select the connection that you want to
    > remove. 2. Click the Disconnect from currently selected remote site
    > button
    >
    > When I select an entry in the list, the Disconnect button is greyed
    > out and unselectable unless I have an open connection to that remote
    > site. When I am connected to a remote site, clicking the Disconnect
    > button does what it says- disconnects from the site, but retains the
    > connection item in the list.

    As a wild guess, the worst case is editing the solution file, as it
    contains the properties for the site. that is what setting values does,
    but if you cannot disconnect with the button, then full removal would be
    an option.

    Don't have time to test this right now, so examination of the .sln file
    is in order. Assuming ASP.NET 2.0 or greater here.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 24, 2009

  3. Paul Shapiro

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    Thank you. It's ASP.Net 3.5. I cannot find any of the copy targets in the
    solution file or any other configuration files. I've searched the folders
    containing all my project files, and the text is not found. I searched the
    registry, also without luck.

    The website is built from the source code with a Visual Web Deployment
    project. I then open the output pre-compiled website as a new solution. That
    solution only contains a top-level solution file and the website. I
    right-click the website and choose Copy Website. The list of targets I've
    used before is presented, but I can't find a way to edit that list. I can
    only select an existing target or create a new one. I right-click the
    solution file and choose Open Folder in Windows. The folder contains the
    solution file, but the targets are not listed in the solution file.

    Paul Shapiro, Jul 27, 2009