    valid concerns?

    Ashok

    , Jul 30, 2007

  2. * wrote, On 30-7-2007 13:36:
    > Just wondering how many of you all are using VS2008 bETA 2 to work on
    > 2.0 projects? I dl'd the beta 2 release but have not installed ityet
    > because i was concerned about future uninstall when the RTM/RC version
    > is out and the possibility of breaking 2.0 stuff when i uninstall. Any
    > valid concerns?

    You can always install it on a VPC.

    Jesse

    Jesse Houwing, Jul 30, 2007

  3. <> wrote in message

    > Just wondering how many of you all are using VS2008 bETA 2 to work on
    > 2.0 projects?

    Obviously, one of the new features of Orcas is the ability to specify the
    version of the Framework for which the project will be compiled...

    I'm not using Orcas to work on any existing production v2 projects - can't
    see the point - but what I am doing is going through existing v2 projects
    and upgrading them to v3.5 to see what works and what doesn't, and where I
    can take advantage of the new v3.5 features...

    > I dl'd the beta 2 release but have not installed ityet
    > because i was concerned about future uninstall when the RTM/RC version
    > is out and the possibility of breaking 2.0 stuff when i uninstall. Any
    > valid concerns?

    If you've got a decent amount of RAM and spare disk space on your machine,
    you could always download Microsoft Virtual PC (it's free) and create a
    virtual machine to install Orcas onto... No risk of breaking anything...

    Subject to OS licensing, of course...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 30, 2007
  4. PvdG42 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just wondering how many of you all are using VS2008 bETA 2 to work on
    > 2.0 projects? I dl'd the beta 2 release but have not installed ityet
    > because i was concerned about future uninstall when the RTM/RC version
    > is out and the possibility of breaking 2.0 stuff when i uninstall. Any
    > valid concerns?
    >
    > Ashok

    I'm using it with numerous types of academic examples and projects in
    conjunction with courses in C++, C# and VB. All these projects target .NET
    2.0. I'm not seeing issues (so far). As far as the uninstall issue goes, I
    had to uninstall Beta 1 before installing Beta 2 and the process was trouble
    free here. Just a matter of following the instructions in the Beta 2 readme.

    PvdG42, Jul 30, 2007
  5. Showjumper Guest

    Thank you all for the info

    Showjumper, Jul 30, 2007
  6. Any time you play with betaware, there is a risk of causing harm. I would
    never do it on a production machine.

    If you are going to target 3.5, go for it, but realize your release is quite
    a few months out.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jul 30, 2007