Using VS 2008 Orcas B2?

Showjump

Just wondering how many of you all are using VS2008 bETA 2 to work on
2.0 projects? I dl'd the beta 2 release but have not installed ityet
because i was concerned about future uninstall when the RTM/RC version
is out and the possibility of breaking 2.0 stuff when i uninstall. Any
valid concerns?

Ashok

Jesse Houwing

* (e-mail address removed) wrote, On 30-7-2007 13:36:
Just wondering how many of you all are using VS2008 bETA 2 to work on
2.0 projects? I dl'd the beta 2 release but have not installed ityet
because i was concerned about future uninstall when the RTM/RC version
is out and the possibility of breaking 2.0 stuff when i uninstall. Any
valid concerns?

You can always install it on a VPC.

Jesse

Mark Rae [MVP]

Just wondering how many of you all are using VS2008 bETA 2 to work on
2.0 projects?

Obviously, one of the new features of Orcas is the ability to specify the
version of the Framework for which the project will be compiled...

I'm not using Orcas to work on any existing production v2 projects - can't
see the point - but what I am doing is going through existing v2 projects
and upgrading them to v3.5 to see what works and what doesn't, and where I
can take advantage of the new v3.5 features...
I dl'd the beta 2 release but have not installed ityet
because i was concerned about future uninstall when the RTM/RC version
is out and the possibility of breaking 2.0 stuff when i uninstall. Any
valid concerns?

If you've got a decent amount of RAM and spare disk space on your machine,
you could always download Microsoft Virtual PC (it's free) and create a
virtual machine to install Orcas onto... No risk of breaking anything...

Subject to OS licensing, of course...

PvdG42

Just wondering how many of you all are using VS2008 bETA 2 to work on
2.0 projects? I dl'd the beta 2 release but have not installed ityet
because i was concerned about future uninstall when the RTM/RC version
is out and the possibility of breaking 2.0 stuff when i uninstall. Any
valid concerns?

Ashok

I'm using it with numerous types of academic examples and projects in
conjunction with courses in C++, C# and VB. All these projects target .NET
2.0. I'm not seeing issues (so far). As far as the uninstall issue goes, I
had to uninstall Beta 1 before installing Beta 2 and the process was trouble
free here. Just a matter of following the instructions in the Beta 2 readme.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Any time you play with betaware, there is a risk of causing harm. I would
never do it on a production machine.

If you are going to target 3.5, go for it, but realize your release is quite
a few months out.