using VS.NET ASP1.1 and Visual Web Developer ASP2.0 on the same PC

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

I have ASP.NET 1.1 (VS.NET 2003)
But i'm thinking of installing Visual Web Developer which i think it
comes with ASP 2.0.
If i install both VS.NET 2003 and Visual Web Developer on the same PC
can i run ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 on the same PC with no hassles???

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

If you're adventurous and you have spare machine, go ahead and try out this
configuration. There shouldn't be many hassles; there haven't been in most
cases I've heard about.
However, nobody can guarantee there won't be issues since this is beta
software we're talking about.
Never install beta software on an important production machine.

AnandaSim

In this day and age, if you're serious enough to roll up your sleeves
and get dirty with stuff like dot net, then you should be serious
enough in getting enough grunt in a machine and spending on something
like Microsoft Virtual PC or VMWare. Either allow you to host nearly
real machines (even run them full screen) on one physical PC and you
can go to town installing different versions of OS and/or development
tools without any worry about conflicts or killing your production
developer machine.

HTH
Ananda

Tampa.NET Koder

I did this once. Had some issues. The issue was the when vs2003 compiles my
aspx pages for the .net framework 1.1, when you try to debug you pages you
get an error since the machine always tries to use .net 2.0 to debug which
it can't. So you have to run aspnet_regiis to configure that virtually to
only run using .net 1.1 and not .net 2.0. I did that and got no error.
However, I ended up formatting my machine and I currently have vs 2005
installed on another test box. So, that was my experience.

Juan T. Llibre

Remembering that you shouldn't install beta programs
on a partition you can't afford to reformat : yes.

What you will need to do is assign all 2.0 apps to the
DefaultAppPool, and create a new Application Pool
for the 1.1 applications you are running.