Using webservice.htc, Read it has a memory leak,suggest Another approach

batista

Hello all,

I have a grid that im updating using webservice.htc after every 5 sec.
But i read after i used it that webservice.htc has severe memory
leak.(my badluck :) )

So, now someone suggested me to write my own webservice
behaviuor,...ahh

Plus, this website is ssl enabled and my webservice is not..and im not
being able to call a nonsecure webservice method from a https webpage
using webservice.htc...

So, i have some questions..

1) How bad is the webservice.htc? and if i replace it than what other
choice do i have..
shud i write my own webservice layer considering all the https thing..
OR, will it work just by using xmlhttprequest or is it AJAX..

2) What is the difference between xmlhttprequest and AJAX...?

3) And if u think that i shud just stick with webservice.htc than plz
help me on the https thing..how do i call a nonsecure webservice method
from https webpage...(is it possible)

Plz help me out and give any suggestions..

Thanks..
Cheers..

Bye

Jonas Raoni

batista said:
1) How bad is the webservice.htc? and if i replace it than what other
choice do i have..

These .htc files don't work on other browsers, anyway it looks like a
nice solution to solve some IE problems.

It seems that people tried to standardize it
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-HTMLComponents>, but it's just a note on
w3.org.

This: <URL:http://weblogs.asp.net/pleloup/archive/2004/01/16/59470.aspx>
looks interesting, but I don't think it's a nice solution.

So, avoid using .htc =b
shud i write my own webservice layer considering all the https thing..
OR, will it work just by using xmlhttprequest or is it AJAX..

Yeah, you should... The http communication is already implemented on the
object, you just need to know some few things, like handling return codes.
2) What is the difference between xmlhttprequest and AJAX...?

AJAX is just an idiot term "Asynchronous JavaScript And XML"
<URL:http://adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php>
and the HttpRequest is part of what this term describes.

So, forget about AJAX, you just need to know the XMLHttpRequest object ;]