using xpointer in html

tintagel

Hi everyone,

I'm currently updating my website. In a previous incarnation, I had
some content with a navigation frame: the displayed page was e.g.
"frames.htm", which loaded an html doc "righthandpage.htm" on the
right, with a page called "nav.htm"consisting a table of links of the
form "righthandpage.htm#section" in the narrower left-hand frame.

Now I've changed righthandpage.htm to xml, and of course my navigation
links don't work.

Can I use xpointer syntax in nav.htm to fix the broken links?
Do I have to rewrite nav.htm as nav.xml in order to get xpointer to
work, or will (new browsers of) html be able to cope?
Does righthandpage.xml really need a DTD or schema for the links to
work?
(I'm looking for the simplest possible solution to each problem as I
gradually update my website one step at a time.)

Many thanks and best wishes,

T.

jb

tintagel said:
[...]

The last I heard, it's still html.

Hywel Jenkins

tintagel said:
Hi everyone,

I'm currently updating my website. In a previous incarnation, I had
some content with a navigation frame: the displayed page was e.g.
"frames.htm", which loaded an html doc "righthandpage.htm" on the
right, with a page called "nav.htm"consisting a table of links of the
form "righthandpage.htm#section" in the narrower left-hand frame.

Now I've changed righthandpage.htm to xml, and of course my navigation
links don't work.

Are you sure you've written it as XML? Have you really done it in
XHTML? URL?

tintagel

Hi Hywel,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I've completely reworked the html content so
now it's an xml doc with an xsl stylesheet. (My site's still very much
under construction though, and this section hasn't been uploaded yet as
it's still too experimental.) I haven't been able to find an example
online of how to use xpointer *from within html*, in place of the usual
'<a href> and #' syntax, to link to specific parts of an xml doc.

Thanks again,

T.