using xpointer in html

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tintagel, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. tintagel

    tintagel Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm currently updating my website. In a previous incarnation, I had
    some content with a navigation frame: the displayed page was e.g.
    "frames.htm", which loaded an html doc "righthandpage.htm" on the
    right, with a page called "nav.htm"consisting a table of links of the
    form "righthandpage.htm#section" in the narrower left-hand frame.

    Now I've changed righthandpage.htm to xml, and of course my navigation
    links don't work.

    Can I use xpointer syntax in nav.htm to fix the broken links?
    Do I have to rewrite nav.htm as nav.xml in order to get xpointer to
    work, or will (new browsers of) html be able to cope?
    Does righthandpage.xml really need a DTD or schema for the links to
    work?
    (I'm looking for the simplest possible solution to each problem as I
    gradually update my website one step at a time.)

    Many thanks and best wishes,

    T.
    tintagel, Apr 1, 2006

  2. tintagel

    jb Guest

    tintagel wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm currently updating my website. In a previous incarnation, I had
    > some content with a navigation frame: the displayed page was e.g.
    > "frames.htm", which loaded an html doc "righthandpage.htm" on the
    > right, with a page called "nav.htm"consisting a table of links of the
    > form "righthandpage.htm#section" in the narrower left-hand frame.
    >
    > Now I've changed righthandpage.htm to xml, and of course my navigation
    > links don't work.
    >
    > Can I use xpointer syntax in nav.htm to fix the broken links?
    > Do I have to rewrite nav.htm as nav.xml in order to get xpointer to
    > work, or will (new browsers of) html be able to cope?
    > Does righthandpage.xml really need a DTD or schema for the links to
    > work?
    > (I'm looking for the simplest possible solution to each problem as I
    > gradually update my website one step at a time.)
    >
    > Many thanks and best wishes,
    >
    > T.

    The last I heard, it's still html.
    jb, Apr 1, 2006

  3. tintagel wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm currently updating my website. In a previous incarnation, I had
    > some content with a navigation frame: the displayed page was e.g.
    > "frames.htm", which loaded an html doc "righthandpage.htm" on the
    > right, with a page called "nav.htm"consisting a table of links of the
    > form "righthandpage.htm#section" in the narrower left-hand frame.
    >
    > Now I've changed righthandpage.htm to xml, and of course my navigation
    > links don't work.

    Are you sure you've written it as XML? Have you really done it in
    XHTML? URL?

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 1, 2006
  4. tintagel

    tintagel Guest

    Hi Hywel,

    Thanks for your post. Yes, I've completely reworked the html content so
    now it's an xml doc with an xsl stylesheet. (My site's still very much
    under construction though, and this section hasn't been uploaded yet as
    it's still too experimental.) I haven't been able to find an example
    online of how to use xpointer *from within html*, in place of the usual
    '<a href> and #' syntax, to link to specific parts of an xml doc.

    Thanks again,

    T.
    tintagel, Apr 3, 2006