Using XsltTransform crashs asp process, help!

Peter Row

Hi,

BACKGROUND:
I have a VB.NET DLL that uses HttpModules, HttpHandlers etc... which
has been ported from a VB6 webclass application. I am developing on
WinXP Pro SP1, P4 2Ghz, 512MB Ram

I have written a thin wrapper class around the action of XML transforming.
Basically I create my class specify an XmlDocument and the name of the
transform file to use. It then sets up all the other objects it needs.
It uses XslTransform and in it's transform() method uses a StringWriter
object for the output.

This all works fine....most of the time.
However I recently ported another section of code. The XmlDocument
generated by this code if saved to a file is 200KB. When the transform()
method of my XslTransform object is called I waited for about 5 minutes
and it still hadn't finished, my CPU was also maxed out. If I press the
pause
process button the:
domXslt.Transform(node, Nothing, sw, Nothing)

.....line is highlighted. If I press the stop process button (or close the
browser)
then the VS.NET IDE refuses to respond until I use task manager to force the
aspnet_wp process to end.

Anybody have any ideas what is going on or how to go about solving this?

Regards,
Peter

Peter Row

Hi,

Okay a bit of follow up.
It seems that the process has not crashed it's just hogging the CPU.
If I wait for roughly 11 minutes then it finishes processing.

This is obviously unacceptable since the output is going to a web
page.

I tried the same database with the original VB6 version that uses the
MSXML parser and it only took about 20 seconds roughly 96% faster.

20 seconds for a page is also not fantastic, but the page is showing
a lot of calculated statistics so thats not so bad. But to get 96% slower
is just not on.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Peter