Using XUL with python

Gabriele Farina

Hi guys,

hiow can I create a XUL application that runs with python?? Which libreries
I need??

bye

Christoph Becker-Freyseng

Gabriele said:
Hi guys,

hiow can I create a XUL application that runs with python?? Which libreries
I need??

bye

I only know two ways, that are worth considering (searching on the net
shows a lot of results but it's hard to pick the good ones ...):

- "LUXOR": afaik written in Java with Python/Jython abilities. Could be
a promising platform (but I don't know much about this) ...
- PyXPCOM: enable Python in the Mozilla-Framework (most of the stuff on
the net is quite old, however the actual code is stored in Mozilla-cvs
and recent. ActiveState use Python+XUL/Mozilla for their apps)
(Useful links might be:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/extensions/python/xpcom/ !!!
http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/architecture/xpcom/pyxpcom/
http://pygecko.sourceforge.net/)

IMO pygecko is a bit of "the right idea".
Mozilla Project should split up their stuff and make a standalone
XUL-Server supporting multiple languages. (Hey M$ is currently doing
something similar for Longhorn...)

cu cbf

Gabriele Farina

Tnx a lot to everyone.

I looked at Luxor yesterday, but I don't want to use jython to build my
application.

Instead pyXPCOM seems a good job, but I cant install the estension under
windows.

Now I'll try to read the documentation you give me and then I'll try to
install the extension.

It seems pyXPCOM needs mozilla running to be functional. Is this true?? How
can I merge my program and mozilla toghether to work like Komodo does?

tnx a lot, good night :)

Peter Hansen

Gabriele said:
Tnx a lot to everyone.

I looked at Luxor yesterday, but I don't want to use jython to build my
application.

Instead pyXPCOM seems a good job, but I cant install the estension under
windows.

Now I'll try to read the documentation you give me and then I'll try to
install the extension.

It seems pyXPCOM needs mozilla running to be functional. Is this true?? How
can I merge my program and mozilla toghether to work like Komodo does?

It seems likely to me that since so few people are approaching
application development this way, the answers are not straightforward
and you should be prepared for a lot of trial-and-error development
on your own, rather than finding a nice tutorial that tells you how
to do it all.

I could be wrong... it just doesn't look like mainstream technology from here.

-Peter

Christoph Becker-Freyseng

aifaik Peter Hansen is right.

There's just no easy "plug & program"-library.

You have to compile yourself a version of Mozilla. Basically following
the instructions (search them on mozilla.org) isn't to hard and you'll
get an Python-enabled Mozilla framework. However it takes a lot
computing resources (I did this on a laptop PII 400/128MB and it took
>24h to complete and >1GB diskspace)

I agree that Mozilla should provide a readily useable XUL+(C, Python,
Perl, Java, ...)-Framework. But nobody wants to do this task (it's my
and your fault, too -- or would you do such a thing :) ).

cu cbf