usless script?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cln, Jan 22, 2009.

  1. cln

    cln Guest

    Hi all,

    Looking at browser statistics http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    Nobody seems to use Netscape 4 or even Netscape at all. I've taken
    over management of our website and I have this script on 99% of
    pages.. quick read through would lead me to believe that this is
    useless code. Can I delete this without any issues?

    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
    if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&&
    (parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
    document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight;
    onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
    else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!
    =document.MM_pgH) location.reload();
    }
    MM_reloadPage(true);
    // -->
    </script>

    cln, Jan 22, 2009

  2. cln

    Stephan Bird Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 05:00:16 -0800 in
    , cln
    <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Looking at browser statistics
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp Nobody seems to
    > use Netscape 4 or even Netscape at all. I've taken over management of our
    > website and I have this script on 99% of pages.. quick read through
    > would lead me to believe that this is useless code. Can I delete this
    > without any issues?
    >

    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    > function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
    > if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&&
    > (parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
    > document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight;
    > onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
    > else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!
    > =document.MM_pgH) location.reload();
    > }
    > MM_reloadPage(true);
    > // -->
    > </script>

    Well, IMO, if you don't know what it's there for, then it's probably OK to get rid
    of it! But bear in mind w3schools stats are stats for w3schools, only you know
    what traffic hits your site.

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    EMOVE

    Stephan Bird, Jan 22, 2009

  3. cln

    Bergamot Guest

    Stephan Bird wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 05:00:16 -0800 in
    > , cln
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have this script on 99% of pages.. quick read through
    >> would lead me to believe that this is useless code. Can I delete this
    >> without any issues?
    >> <script language="JavaScript">
    >> <!--
    >> function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized

    > Well, IMO, if you don't know what it's there for, then it's probably OK to get rid
    > of it!

    I see it more like:
    This is a legacy script targeting a long-obsolete browser. If it's on
    every page now, there is likely more legacy code in there and this may
    be just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

    If the code is being modernized piecemeal, then I'd say go for it, but
    if this is the only thing being dropped I wouldn't bother.

    For a site that was developed back when NS4 was a force to be reckoned
    with, it's often better just to start over from scratch.

    > But bear in mind w3schools stats are stats for w3schools, only you know
    > what traffic hits your site.

    Yup.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 22, 2009
  4. cln

    cln Guest

    > > But bear in mind w3schools stats are stats for w3schools, only you know
    > > what traffic hits your site.

    True, I don't base my whole site on their stats, i just take it as a
    'what's going on'. clear stuff.

    Some files were not modified since 2001 so i figure that things have
    'evolved' since.

    thanks all.

    cln, Jan 22, 2009