usless script?

cln

Hi all,

Looking at browser statistics http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
Nobody seems to use Netscape 4 or even Netscape at all. I've taken
over management of our website and I have this script on 99% of
pages.. quick read through would lead me to believe that this is
useless code. Can I delete this without any issues?

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&&
(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight;
onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!
=document.MM_pgH) location.reload();
}
MM_reloadPage(true);
// -->
</script>

Stephan Bird

[...]

Well, IMO, if you don't know what it's there for, then it's probably OK to get rid
of it! But bear in mind w3schools stats are stats for w3schools, only you know
what traffic hits your site.

Stephan

Bergamot

Stephan said:
Well, IMO, if you don't know what it's there for, then it's probably OK to get rid
of it!

I see it more like:
This is a legacy script targeting a long-obsolete browser. If it's on
every page now, there is likely more legacy code in there and this may
be just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

If the code is being modernized piecemeal, then I'd say go for it, but
if this is the only thing being dropped I wouldn't bother.

For a site that was developed back when NS4 was a force to be reckoned
with, it's often better just to start over from scratch.
But bear in mind w3schools stats are stats for w3schools, only you know
what traffic hits your site.

Yup.

cln

True, I don't base my whole site on their stats, i just take it as a
'what's going on'. clear stuff.

Some files were not modified since 2001 so i figure that things have
'evolved' since.

thanks all.