    Can anyone help by providing some advice on the best means to
    achieve this.

    Thanks.
    Mark, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Mark

    Sudsy Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently trying to write a servlet on websphere running under
    > USS on ZOS. I want to read some TSO datasets, to compile reports, I
    > have no problems reading files which reside within the HFS file
    > structure but would also like to read TSO datasets. What would be the
    > best way to do this? I do not want to go through other platforms like
    > CICS or use COBOL programs I want to do it all from the servlet.
    >
    > Can anyone help by providing some advice on the best means to
    > achieve this.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I wouldn't try this with Java! Seriously, I had to play around with
    some tape datasets (3380) on AIX which was tricky enough. C is a
    much better choice, mapping the record struture directly into a C
    struct. You still have to mess about with LRECL and BLKSIZE, and
    heaven help you if you're using anything other than DSORG=PS and
    RECFM=FB.
    Sudsy, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Mark

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Sudsy wrote:
    > I wouldn't try this with Java! Seriously, I had to play around with
    > some tape datasets (3380) on AIX which was tricky enough. C is a
    > much better choice, mapping the record struture directly into a C
    > struct.

    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!

    =-O

    That sounds waaaay too scary.

    Most places I've worked wouldn't even hire you if you liked casting
    bytes directly into C structs! And even on the same OS on the same PC a
    change by the vendor can break things on you from one compiler version
    to the next.

    (Hmmmm..... I know. Let's change this type from 80-bit to 64-bit. And
    then only mention it down at the bottom of a huge 'readme' text file...)

    What you need to do to read in structures in Java is pretty much exactly
    what you need to do to have C code that's not as fragile as an empty
    eggshell.
    Jon A. Cruz, Jun 29, 2003