Usual Values for WebService.Timeout?

Guest

Hello NG!

The default for the timeout of an WebService is 100 seconds. I think, this
is a long time to let the user know, that the server isn't reachable (with
the specified url).
So what are usual values in a scenario where mobile devices connect to a
server over the internet? I thought of maybe 20 seconds?

In my experience thee timeout-value affects only the allowed time to get the
first contact to the server. Afterwards it isn't important, how long the
WebMethod takes for calculating the result, isn't it? Do client and server
'talk' to each other while the result is calculated?

Thanks, D.Barisch

Jan Tielens

In my opninion it all depends on what kind of work your webservice is doing.
If this involves a lenghty calculation, a higher timeout value is good. But
in most cases a lower value would be enough.

I think the timeout value is the maximum time between the request and the
arrival of the first byte of the response. So lets say the response is 100KB
and the timeout is 10 sec: You invoke your webservice, let's say after 5
secs. you'll get the first byte of the response. The 100KB takes another 10
secs. to be transferred, so the total operation would last 15 secs (>
timemout).

--
Greetz

Jan Tielens