utf-8 and iso-8859-1 not working?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Scott Gordo, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    Greetings,

    Using eWebEditPro, quotation marks (")and dashes (-) are being
    interpreted into “ and – respectively. In the browser,
    these a both interpreted as question marks.

    Here's the page's top info:

    <head>
    />

    I tried subbing UTF-8 in for iso-8859-1.

    Anybody have any familiarity with this issue?

    TIA!

    Scott
    Scott Gordo, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Hello,

    Scott Gordo wrote:

    > Using eWebEditPro, quotation marks (")and dashes (-) are being
    > interpreted into “ and – respectively. In the browser,
    > these a both interpreted as question marks.
    >
    > Here's the page's top info:

    > <head>
    > />
    >
    > I tried subbing UTF-8 in for iso-8859-1.
    >
    > Anybody have any familiarity with this issue?

    If I understand correctly, you have character
    entities '“', '–', ... in the source code of the document. In
    this case the encoding of the document is not relevant.

    If they are then not displayed correctly, they might not be available in the
    font you are using in the document (or more specificly, the version of this
    font, that is installed on your system).

    If you would provide an URL to the document or a minimal example of the
    problem, we could tell you more (HTTP header could also be involved, if my
    first guess was wrong).

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de