Utterly confused - web, sql tables what to use for development?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by RichGK, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. RichGK

    RichGK Guest

    I've spent a whole day looking at various walkthroughs and searching for
    books on amazon and it seems there isn't a simple answer for what I want to
    do - which is a very simple task entirely (at least in php and mysql it is).

    I've got and installed and fully configured, Visual Studio .net enterprise
    edition.

    All I want to do is re-write a simple Interdev web page in whatever it is
    your supposed to use this month.

    All the web page has to do is (using SQL 7 server)

    1. list a record after a query, the parameters for the search are in a text
    box before clicking the search button
    2. Allow me to add new records to the tables

    That's it!

    Can anyone recommend what language to use for this, and also a good book for
    utter .net beginners that would basically hold my hand every step of the way
    from connecting to a sql database to listing a table and more importantly
    (as I figured out the other two eventually) - adding a new record.

    Thanks,
    Rich.
    RichGK, Jun 23, 2004

  2. RichGK

    SStory Guest

    I like VB.NET.

    Also ASP.NET Unleashed is a pretty good book on ASP.NET. It doesn't tell
    you much about doing things from the IDE, but is a good resource.

    Basically you will need to use a data grid control in ASP.NET and it may be
    complicated to learn to use them at first.

    You will need a dataset of your data also.

    I would suggest reading up on the subject on a book like ASP.NET and it will
    answer many questions... once you've done that and tried it then come back
    to the groups and we'll help you along.

    It took me a while to get used to it also.

    Shane

    SStory, Jul 31, 2004