utterly defeated by Emailing from .net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Hi folks,
    I'm using WinXP Pro svc pack 2, I'm the admin, I have VS2005 and .net
    framework 2.0 and I'm using ASP.net 2.0

    I've never ever ever over the years had any luck (over the years) in
    re-creating any examples from books where an email gets successfuly sent from
    a .net app.

    I'm primarily a C# developer with some rudimentary but useful knowledge of
    being a windows admin. The books always show you what to type in web.config
    what namespaces to import and classes to use etc...
    and I always get an error

    let's say I was (which I'm not) is it even possible for
    me to set up my home xp machine to send out emails from an ASP.net web app
    that arrive as if they are coming from that address or even To that address,
    or is that totally to miss the point. Does your own machine have to be
    registered in some way with the internet authorities and have a proper domain
    to send out email?

    what I'm really asking for is a pointer to a URL that really takes you
    through in an idiot proof way with what you have to do to make your home
    machine send out emails coming from or to a legitimate email address...

    Honestly this is nothing to do with Spam, it's just that my examples never
    work as they should when it comes to this functionality and it would give me
    great happiness to see the whole thing working as it should

    Regards and many thx in advance,
    CharlesA
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Apr 11, 2007

  2. To send email, you must have an SMTP server to send it to. The SMTP server
    doesn't have to be on your local machine, but you must be able to
    authenticate in order to use it.

    Here are a couple of references regarding SMTP servers and SMTP in general:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP

    Printing Components, Email Components,
    http://www.miradyne.net

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 11, 2007

  3. CharlesA wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    > I'm using WinXP Pro svc pack 2, I'm the admin, I have VS2005 and .net
    > framework 2.0 and I'm using ASP.net 2.0
    >
    > I've never ever ever over the years had any luck (over the years) in
    > re-creating any examples from books where an email gets successfuly sent from
    > a .net app.
    >
    > I'm primarily a C# developer with some rudimentary but useful knowledge of
    > being a windows admin. The books always show you what to type in web.config
    > what namespaces to import and classes to use etc...
    > and I always get an error
    >

    > let's say I was (which I'm not) is it even possible for
    > me to set up my home xp machine to send out emails from an ASP.net web app
    > that arrive as if they are coming from that address or even To that address,
    > or is that totally to miss the point. Does your own machine have to be
    > registered in some way with the internet authorities and have a proper domain
    > to send out email?
    >
    > what I'm really asking for is a pointer to a URL that really takes you
    > through in an idiot proof way with what you have to do to make your home
    > machine send out emails coming from or to a legitimate email address...
    >
    > Honestly this is nothing to do with Spam, it's just that my examples never
    > work as they should when it comes to this functionality and it would give me
    > great happiness to see the whole thing working as it should
    >

    > Regards and many thx in advance,
    > CharlesA

    Sending mail as yourself is actually what is most likely to work.

    What you need is the same information as you enter into your mail
    program. At minimum the SMTP server, and depending on the server
    settings you might have to authenticate yourself by supplying user name
    and password when sending mail, but it usually just checks that the
    sender email is correct. It should be obvious from the settings that you
    enter in the mail program is the server requires authentication or not.

    With this information you should be able to use any example code to send
    mail.

    You might also be able to start the SMTP server in IIS and use that to
    send mail, but that depends on your ISP. Many ISPs block the SMTP port
    so that you only can use their SMTP server to send mail (to prevent
    spamming).

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____
    =?UTF-8?B?R8O2cmFuIEFuZGVyc3Nvbg==?=, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Thx very much Kevin and Goran, that was most helpful...

    Regards
    CharlesA
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Apr 11, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    "CharlesA" <> wrote in message

    > what I'm really asking for is a pointer to a URL that really takes you
    > through in an idiot proof way with what you have to do to make your home
    > machine send out emails coming from or to a legitimate email address...

    It doesn't get much clearer than this:
    http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/1.3.aspx
    Mark Rae, Apr 11, 2007
  6. thx Mark that is the perfect link that I needed :)

    Regards,
    CharlesA
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Apr 11, 2007