utterly defeated by Emailing from .net

Guest

Hi folks,
I'm using WinXP Pro svc pack 2, I'm the admin, I have VS2005 and .net
framework 2.0 and I'm using ASP.net 2.0

I've never ever ever over the years had any luck (over the years) in
re-creating any examples from books where an email gets successfuly sent from
a .net app.

I'm primarily a C# developer with some rudimentary but useful knowledge of
being a windows admin. The books always show you what to type in web.config
what namespaces to import and classes to use etc...
and I always get an error

let's say I was (e-mail address removed) (which I'm not) is it even possible for
me to set up my home xp machine to send out emails from an ASP.net web app
that arrive as if they are coming from that address or even To that address,
or is that totally to miss the point. Does your own machine have to be
registered in some way with the internet authorities and have a proper domain
to send out email?

what I'm really asking for is a pointer to a URL that really takes you
through in an idiot proof way with what you have to do to make your home
machine send out emails coming from or to a legitimate email address...

Honestly this is nothing to do with Spam, it's just that my examples never
work as they should when it comes to this functionality and it would give me
great happiness to see the whole thing working as it should

Regards and many thx in advance,
CharlesA

Kevin Spencer

To send email, you must have an SMTP server to send it to. The SMTP server
doesn't have to be on your local machine, but you must be able to
authenticate in order to use it.

Here are a couple of references regarding SMTP servers and SMTP in general:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

Guest

CharlesA said:
[...]

Sending mail as yourself is actually what is most likely to work.

What you need is the same information as you enter into your mail
program. At minimum the SMTP server, and depending on the server
settings you might have to authenticate yourself by supplying user name
and password when sending mail, but it usually just checks that the
sender email is correct. It should be obvious from the settings that you
enter in the mail program is the server requires authentication or not.

With this information you should be able to use any example code to send
mail.

You might also be able to start the SMTP server in IIS and use that to
send mail, but that depends on your ISP. Many ISPs block the SMTP port
so that you only can use their SMTP server to send mail (to prevent
spamming).