V Newbie: Installing Perl modules

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by des fisher, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. des fisher

    des fisher Guest

    I'm a v newbie who is trying to run the checklink thingy
    (http://validator.w3.org/checklink)

    I've installed ActivePerl and example.pl ran ok. I'm trying to install the
    Perl modules needed by checklink.

    PPM starts up fine and I've downloaded to my root directory cgi.pm.txt.

    In PPM the command "install c:\cgi.pm.txt" gets the message "Searching for
    'c:\cgi.pm.txt' returns no results. Try a broader search first."
    Don't understand. Help.
    I tried renaming cgi.pm.txt as cgi.pm and same result.

    Thanks for your time.

    --

    keep :)ing - des fisher
    .... www.NaTCH.co.uk last updated 23 June

    des fisher, Jun 24, 2003

  2. des fisher

    Sam Holden Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:38:58 +0100, des fisher <> wrote:
    > I'm a v newbie who is trying to run the checklink thingy
    > (http://validator.w3.org/checklink)
    >
    > I've installed ActivePerl and example.pl ran ok. I'm trying to install the
    > Perl modules needed by checklink.
    >
    > PPM starts up fine and I've downloaded to my root directory cgi.pm.txt.
    >
    > In PPM the command "install c:\cgi.pm.txt" gets the message "Searching for
    > 'c:\cgi.pm.txt' returns no results. Try a broader search first."
    > Don't understand. Help.
    > I tried renaming cgi.pm.txt as cgi.pm and same result.

    I think PPM installs things via .ppd files. It doesn't install .pm files
    directly.

    But CGI is part of core in ActivePerl so it should already be installed.

    --
    Sam Holden

    Sam Holden, Jun 24, 2003

  3. des fisher

    Helgi Briem Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I'm a v newbie who is trying to run the checklink thingy
    >(http://validator.w3.org/checklink)
    >
    >I've installed ActivePerl and example.pl ran ok. I'm trying to install the
    >Perl modules needed by checklink.
    >
    >PPM starts up fine and I've downloaded to my root directory cgi.pm.txt.

    Why did you do that'

    >In PPM the command "install c:\cgi.pm.txt" gets the message "Searching for
    >'c:\cgi.pm.txt' returns no results. Try a broader search first."

    Of course. Why should PPM try to install a text file?

    Plus, Activeperl comes with the CGI module as standard.
    You don't need to install anything extra.

    >Don't understand. Help.
    >I tried renaming cgi.pm.txt as cgi.pm and same result.

    That's not surprising.

    Helgi Briem, Jun 24, 2003