V Newbie: Installing Perl modules

des fisher

I'm a v newbie who is trying to run the checklink thingy
(http://validator.w3.org/checklink)

I've installed ActivePerl and example.pl ran ok. I'm trying to install the
Perl modules needed by checklink.

PPM starts up fine and I've downloaded to my root directory cgi.pm.txt.

In PPM the command "install c:\cgi.pm.txt" gets the message "Searching for
'c:\cgi.pm.txt' returns no results. Try a broader search first."
Don't understand. Help.
I tried renaming cgi.pm.txt as cgi.pm and same result.

Thanks for your time.

Sam Holden

I'm a v newbie who is trying to run the checklink thingy
(http://validator.w3.org/checklink)

I've installed ActivePerl and example.pl ran ok. I'm trying to install the
Perl modules needed by checklink.

PPM starts up fine and I've downloaded to my root directory cgi.pm.txt.

In PPM the command "install c:\cgi.pm.txt" gets the message "Searching for
'c:\cgi.pm.txt' returns no results. Try a broader search first."
Don't understand. Help.
I tried renaming cgi.pm.txt as cgi.pm and same result.

I think PPM installs things via .ppd files. It doesn't install .pm files
directly.

But CGI is part of core in ActivePerl so it should already be installed.

Helgi Briem

I'm a v newbie who is trying to run the checklink thingy
(http://validator.w3.org/checklink)

I've installed ActivePerl and example.pl ran ok. I'm trying to install the
Perl modules needed by checklink.

PPM starts up fine and I've downloaded to my root directory cgi.pm.txt.

Why did you do that'
In PPM the command "install c:\cgi.pm.txt" gets the message "Searching for
'c:\cgi.pm.txt' returns no results. Try a broader search first."

Of course. Why should PPM try to install a text file?

Plus, Activeperl comes with the CGI module as standard.
You don't need to install anything extra.
Don't understand. Help.
I tried renaming cgi.pm.txt as cgi.pm and same result.

That's not surprising.