V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

Mantorok

Hi all

I just changed the name of the style-sheet I was using in my master page -
guess what Beta 2 does??? WIPES OUT ONE OF MY F*****G PAGES!!!!!!!!

I'm livid! That is all I did and it's wiped out ALL my HTML that was in my
web page - 2 months work.

My only hope is to somehow try and decompile the last dll file that was
compiled on my server.

Any ideas how to do this??

Kev

Ray Booysen

Mantorok said:
Hi all

I just changed the name of the style-sheet I was using in my master page -
guess what Beta 2 does??? WIPES OUT ONE OF MY F*****G PAGES!!!!!!!!

I'm livid! That is all I did and it's wiped out ALL my HTML that was in my
web page - 2 months work.

My only hope is to somehow try and decompile the last dll file that was
compiled on my server.

Any ideas how to do this??

Kev
Use a source code management system or backup your work?

KMA

Come on, Ray. That's just not nice.

Mantorok, if it's any consolation, it generallly only take about 25% of the
time to rekey already written (and lost) code. See you in a fortnight.

KMA

only kidding.

Maybe I'm being thick, but isn't "all your html" being output in the app.
Can't you run the last well built ap and simply go page to page and view the
source? I'm sure some of it was dynamically created but it may give you a
jump start on starting from scratch.

Ray Booysen

Hi KMA,

Sorry but I have zero sympathy for people that have not spent the time
or effort backing up their own software. Especially not from IT people.
I didn't mean it in a horrible way at all but developing without a
backup solution especially using Beta software is not one of the
brightest things I have ever heard of.

Again, tongue in cheek monitor on. :)

Mantorok

Ray Booysen said:
Use a source code management system or backup your work?

I've just discovered it's not 2 months work it's around 4 days, the files
are in source control and I find it shocking - even for a beta release -
that it actually did that.

Kev

Mantorok

I don't want sympathy, i want to know if it's possible to decompile the
dll....?

Kev

Eliyahu Goldin

An experienced developer takes care of backup.

A very experienced developer knows that everything happens, including
missing backup.

Eliyahu

Web Team @ Borough of Poole

Even those of us who have a backup system in place forget to use it
from time to time!

Guest

The beta blues? Preach on brother!
-- Choir Member

I hear the frustration and hope this will be tested on the final release
product.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Juan T. Llibre

I don't have a solution for you, but strongly suggest that
you file a bug report at the MSDN Product Feedback Center :

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/

You will need a Passport account to be able to file a bug report.

That will accomplish two things :

1. You might be able to get "official" feedback on the problem,
which might lead to its resolution.

2. You will initiate a chain of events which might wind up
saving a lot of developers many hassles.

File a bug report !

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
==========================

Mantorok

Already tried reflector - I think the main problem Im having is that v2.0
generates C# code from the HTML so although the DLL contains client-side
HTML it doesn't contain any server-side controls etc.

If i edit the DLL directly from VS i can extract the client-side HTML from
it so not all is lost, basically I will need to recreate all the server
controls - which unfortunately there are quite a lot of.

Thanks
Kev

Mantorok

It's been pretty good up until this, I've been using it for a few months
now - although there are some glaringly obvious bugs and strange happenings,
they have turned out to be harmless most of the time.

Kev

chad

Hi Mantorock,

That sucks! I won't give you the finger wagging for not using source
management but I will suggest that you quickly try a data recovery
(undelete) tool to attempt to locate some of your data files before
they are overwritten. Here are a few freeware data recovery apps -- so
it won't cost you more than a few minutes of effort to try:

http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

Good luck!
- Chad

Kevin Spencer

Try the IldAsm command-line tool that comes with the .Net Framework.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP