    compiled on my server.

    Any ideas how to do this??

    Kev
    Mantorok, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Mantorok

    Ray Booysen Guest

    Mantorok wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I just changed the name of the style-sheet I was using in my master page -
    > guess what Beta 2 does??? WIPES OUT ONE OF MY F*****G PAGES!!!!!!!!
    >
    > I'm livid! That is all I did and it's wiped out ALL my HTML that was in my
    > web page - 2 months work.
    >
    > My only hope is to somehow try and decompile the last dll file that was
    > compiled on my server.
    >
    > Any ideas how to do this??
    >
    > Kev

    Use a source code management system or backup your work?
    Ray Booysen, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Mantorok

    KMA Guest

    Come on, Ray. That's just not nice.

    Mantorok, if it's any consolation, it generallly only take about 25% of the
    time to rekey already written (and lost) code. See you in a fortnight.

    KMA, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Mantorok

    KMA Guest

    only kidding.

    Maybe I'm being thick, but isn't "all your html" being output in the app.
    Can't you run the last well built ap and simply go page to page and view the
    source? I'm sure some of it was dynamically created but it may give you a
    jump start on starting from scratch.

    KMA, Sep 12, 2005
  5. Mantorok

    Ray Booysen Guest

    Hi KMA,

    Sorry but I have zero sympathy for people that have not spent the time
    or effort backing up their own software. Especially not from IT people.
    I didn't mean it in a horrible way at all but developing without a
    backup solution especially using Beta software is not one of the
    brightest things I have ever heard of.

    Again, tongue in cheek monitor on. :)

    Ray Booysen, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Mantorok

    Mantorok Guest

    > Mantorok wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I just changed the name of the style-sheet I was using in my master
    >> page - guess what Beta 2 does??? WIPES OUT ONE OF MY F*****G
    >> PAGES!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> I'm livid! That is all I did and it's wiped out ALL my HTML that was in
    >> my web page - 2 months work.
    >>
    >> My only hope is to somehow try and decompile the last dll file that was
    >> compiled on my server.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to do this??
    >>
    >> Kev

    > Use a source code management system or backup your work?

    I've just discovered it's not 2 months work it's around 4 days, the files
    are in source control and I find it shocking - even for a beta release -
    that it actually did that.

    Kev
    Mantorok, Sep 12, 2005
  7. Mantorok

    Mantorok Guest

    I don't want sympathy, i want to know if it's possible to decompile the
    dll....?

    Kev

    Mantorok, Sep 12, 2005
  8. An experienced developer takes care of backup.

    A very experienced developer knows that everything happens, including
    missing backup.

    Eliyahu

    Eliyahu Goldin, Sep 12, 2005
  9. Even those of us who have a backup system in place forget to use it
    from time to time!
    Web Team @ Borough of Poole, Sep 12, 2005
  10. The beta blues? Preach on brother!
    -- Choir Member

    I hear the frustration and hope this will be tested on the final release
    product.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Sep 12, 2005
  11. I don't have a solution for you, but strongly suggest that
    you file a bug report at the MSDN Product Feedback Center :

    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/

    You will need a Passport account to be able to file a bug report.

    That will accomplish two things :

    1. You might be able to get "official" feedback on the problem,
    which might lead to its resolution.

    2. You will initiate a chain of events which might wind up
    saving a lot of developers many hassles.

    File a bug report !

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ==========================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 12, 2005
  12. Mantorok

    Brock Allen Guest

    Yes, check out reflector:

    http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Sep 12, 2005
  13. Mantorok

    Mantorok Guest

    Already tried reflector - I think the main problem Im having is that v2.0
    generates C# code from the HTML so although the DLL contains client-side
    HTML it doesn't contain any server-side controls etc.

    If i edit the DLL directly from VS i can extract the client-side HTML from
    it so not all is lost, basically I will need to recreate all the server
    controls - which unfortunately there are quite a lot of.

    Thanks
    Kev

    Mantorok, Sep 12, 2005
  14. Mantorok

    Mantorok Guest

    It's been pretty good up until this, I've been using it for a few months
    now - although there are some glaringly obvious bugs and strange happenings,
    they have turned out to be harmless most of the time.

    Kev

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Mantorok, Sep 12, 2005
  15. Mantorok

    Guest

    Hi Mantorock,

    That sucks! I won't give you the finger wagging for not using source
    management but I will suggest that you quickly try a data recovery
    (undelete) tool to attempt to locate some of your data files before
    they are overwritten. Here are a few freeware data recovery apps -- so
    it won't cost you more than a few minutes of effort to try:

    http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

    Good luck!
    - Chad
    , Sep 12, 2005
  16. Try the IldAsm command-line tool that comes with the .Net Framework.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP