Vacation - email me when Ilias is gone or people FINALLY stop responding to him

Ryan Davis

The signal:noise ratio on this list is terrible. I'm taking a
vacation from it. Please, David Black, James Britt, or someone else
trusted, email me when this nonsense is over... or at least better.

Ilias Lazaridis

Ryan said:
The signal:noise ratio on this list is terrible. I'm taking a vacation
from it. Please, David Black, James Britt, or someone else trusted,
email me when this nonsense is over... or at least better.

could someone please show this guy how to use an "filter thread"
email-filter?

..

Bertram Scharpf

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 08. Mai 2005, 03:51:30 +0900 schrieb Ryan Davis:
The signal:noise ratio on this list is terrible. I'm taking a
vacation from it. Please, David Black, James Britt, or someone else
trusted, email me when this nonsense is over... or at least better.

Too bad that scanning mail bodies for the last name doesn't
suffice. Does anybody know of a better filter criterion? For
the present I have to delete everything containing even the
forename.

Bertram

Francis Hwang

Depending on what sort of hooks you have for filtering: Emails usually
contain an In-Reply-To header, which is what mail readers use for
threading. So you could say "hide every email from a given person, and
every email that responds to an email from that person as well". It's
not perfect, but it'd be pretty good.

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 08. Mai 2005, 03:51:30 +0900 schrieb Ryan Davis:

Too bad that scanning mail bodies for the last name doesn't
suffice. Does anybody know of a better filter criterion? For
the present I have to delete everything containing even the
forename.

Bertram

Francis Hwang
http://fhwang.net/

Nikolai Weibull

Francis Hwang, May 8:
Depending on what sort of hooks you have for filtering: Emails usually
contain an In-Reply-To header, which is what mail readers use for
threading.

The References header is useful as well,
nikolai

Bertram Scharpf

Hi Francis,

Am Sonntag, 08. Mai 2005, 10:13:05 +0900 schrieb Francis Hwang:
Depending on what sort of hooks you have for filtering: Emails usually
contain an In-Reply-To header, which is what mail readers use for
threading. So you could say "hide every email from a given person, and
every email that responds to an email from that person as well". It's
not perfect, but it'd be pretty good.

My Procmail could be configured calling just some Ruby
scripts. That leads me to the question: Is there something
like Getmail in Ruby?

Bertram

Glenn Parker

Andre said:
Bertram Scharpf said:

You could train your spam filter (I use POPFile) to flag Ilias-style
threads as spam. It might work pretty well after you got through the
training phase.

Caio Tiago Oliveira

Nikolai Weibull, 08-05-2005 09:08:
Francis Hwang, May 8:

The References header is useful as well,
nikolai

Nikolai, the "References" header is the only obvious way of doing it to
keep track of the replies, so it's a lot more useful.

"Message-ID" for the one of the guy.

Is the references header the mail agents use to organize the mail in
threads (some of them also use the subject).

Michael Campbell

Just as a datapoint, I simply made a filter to kill any email with
"Ilias" in it.

It's not perfect of course, but it *WELL* passes the 80/20 tests;
heck, even the 95/5 tests for "getting rid of enough to make the list
readable again".

Nikolai Weibull

Caio Tiago Oliveira, May 9:
Nikolai Weibull, 08-05-2005 09:08:
Nikolai, the "References" header is the only obvious way of doing it
to keep track of the replies, so it's a lot more useful.

Yes, I know. It was Francis Hwang who only mentioned the In-Reply-To
header. I don't see why you are responding to me,
nikolai

Dave Brown

Andre Nathan said:
Bertram Scharpf said:

There's gurgitate-mail
(http://www.dagbrown.com/software/gurgitate-mail/), though I never had
the chance to use it.

There is! I use it for all my email. ;)

Now lemme see, does ruby-talk via email have the same References:
headers as it does on Usenet? I read it as comp.lang.ruby rather
than as the mailing list. (Gnus scorefiles are quite nice. Me, I
score Ilias threads *up* because I enjoy a good laugh.)

Anyway, in your .gurgitate-rules.rb, you'd want to do something like:

if to =~ /ruby-talk/ then
# deal with, er, a nuisance first (apologies to any others
# posting to ruby-talk via that host, though)
if headers["References"] =~ /usenet.otenet.gr/ or
headers["Message-ID"] =~ /usenet.otenet.gr/ then
delete
return # unless you really want to process these some more
else
return save("=ruby-talk")
end
end

If you want to grab your mail via POP from a mail server, you can
write something like this:

username='username'
password='password'
server='popserver'

require 'net/pop'
require 'gurgitate-mail'

Net::pOP3.start(server,'pop3',username,password) do |popconnection|
popconnection.mails.each do |mess|
# This uses your .gurgitate-rules.rb to sort the messages
Gurgitate::Gurgitate.new(m.all.gsub(/\r/,'')).process
m.delete
end
end

But your own script might want to have more error handling in it
just in case things go wrong.

(Note: I consider downloading email message via pop or imap,
through gurgitate, to be such a simple task that I haven't even
bothered documenting it in gurgitate-mail. I suppose I should,
though, since people ask about it every now and then.)

--Dave