valid html and css

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    When I validate my css at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator, I
    can get "No error or warning found" but i am a bit puzzled by what the words
    following mean:

    "To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse
    tree. This means you should use valid HTML."

    The css? This is not html? As for the html files that the css control, of
    course they should be valid...? My css sheets are pretty plain getting
    straight down to business with the tags:

    body {

    }

    and so on. Should there be further headers and footers (in html there's

    My sheets seem to work ok but need to get this really right...

    Anyone?

    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in dorayme's face, who said:
    >When I validate my css at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator, I
    >can get "No error or warning found" but i am a bit puzzled by what the words
    >following mean:

    >"To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse
    >tree. This means you should use valid HTML."

    >The css? This is not html? As for the html files that the css control, of
    >course they should be valid...? My css sheets are pretty plain getting
    >straight down to business with the tags:

    Don't sweat it. The CSS validator looks at your CSS file, and nothing
    else. It has no idea which html documents on the world wide webby
    are linking to it, but it still gives a friendly reminder to keep the
    html docs in good shape.

    --
    - Steve
    "I think a good friend would recommend CLR to all his friends."

    Steve Greenaway, Feb 16, 2005

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Steve Greenaway <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Date: 16 Feb 2005 06:31:42 GMT
    > Subject: Re: valid html and css
    >
    > Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in dorayme's face, who said:
    >> When I validate my css at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator, I
    >> can get "No error or warning found" but i am a bit puzzled by what the words
    >> following mean:

    >> "To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse
    >> tree. This means you should use valid HTML."

    >> The css? This is not html? As for the html files that the css control, of
    >> course they should be valid...? My css sheets are pretty plain getting
    >> straight down to business with the tags:

    > Don't sweat it. The CSS validator looks at your CSS file, and nothing
    > else. It has no idea which html documents on the world wide webby
    > are linking to it, but it still gives a friendly reminder to keep the
    > html docs in good shape.
    >
    > --
    > - Steve
    > "I think a good friend would recommend CLR to all his friends."

    OK, thanks, Steve. So the interpretation is: "Make sure your html files are
    good or your css won't have the effect you expect...". Not, "the css itself
    needs some parse tree thingy to work..."

    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 16, 2005
  4. dorayme

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:16:07 +1100 dorayme wrote:

    > When I validate my css at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator,
    > can get "No error or warning found" but i am a bit puzzled by what the
    > words
    > following mean:

    > "To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document
    > parse
    > tree. This means you should use valid HTML."

    > The css? This is not html? As for the html files that the css control,
    > of
    > course they should be valid...? My css sheets are pretty plain getting
    > straight down to business with the tags:

    What they should say is, "To validate your html part use validator.w3.org."
    Intstead of the BS $10 words like "parse tree".

    If parse means to cut, then why would I want to cut down the tree?

    Richard, Feb 17, 2005
  5. dorayme

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Feb 17, 2005
  6. dorayme <> wrote:

    > When I validate my css at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator,

    then you aren't really using a validator, but a (useful) checker, which is
    misleadingly called "CSS Validator".

    > I can get "No error or warning found" but i am a bit puzzled by what
    > the words following mean:
    >
    > "To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document
    > parse tree. This means you should use valid HTML."

    They mean that the authors of the checker wanted to make some general
    propaganda in favor of "valid HTML". It has nothing specific to do with
    your HTML or SGML or XML document, if any.

    > The css? This is not html? As for the html files that the css control,
    > of course they should be valid...?

    It wouldn't hurt. Whether markup errors really matter depends on the
    browser. It is incorrect to give the impression that CSS could never work
    with invalid markup. Unfortunately most HTML documents around are invalid -
    but they may still work with CSS.

    > My css sheets are pretty plain
    > getting straight down to business with the tags:
    >
    > body {
    >
    > }
    >
    > and so on.

    So I guess you are using XML with "body" as the root element's name?
    Nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you are doing with XML
    in the first place.

    > Should there be further headers and footers (in html there's

    If you play with XML and CSS, then there is no particular reason to imitate
    HTML syntax.

    Your XML needs to be "well-formed" in order to be processed properly at
    all. You could also make it valid, i.e. find or write a Document Type
    Definition, stick to it, and declare using it. But validity is by no means
    needed for making CSS work with CSS. Still less do you need to try to make
    your XML valid HTML (i.e., XHTML), unless you want to make your document
    work on HTML user agents, "browsers", in HTML mode (with default renderings
    for many elements, etc.).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 17, 2005