valid html strict

KMA

Just a general Q, but how do people feel about whether their html (or
ASP.NETs html product) validates according w3org standards?

I've just gone through a few hoops to get the warnings cleaned off my site.
I feel happy that the site is now clean internally, but there wasn't an iota
of difference in the rendered display in any browser that I could detect.

Does anybody view such validation as a sign of website/programmer quality.
Internal quality, I mean, obviously the content and layout could still
stink.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

There's a limit to how many "hoops" I'm willing to jump through. I tend to
do the "does it look ok in firefox/ie" thing and am mostly content if they
look the same. If the project has stronger accessibility needs, I'll put
more effort into it.

The best way to do it, like FxCop,is to validate regularly and correct
errors as they crop up. If you wait 'til the end, the list will be too long.

Karl

Kevin Spencer

At present, it makes almost no difference at all, except in terms of its
likelihood of being supported fully in future browsers.

If a client hires you and makes it a requirement, it's a requirement.

The main thing you want is for it to work as well as possible in all
browsers. That is what these standards were developed for. They give browser
vendors a uniform set of supportable standards, and developers an easier job
of making web documents that are supported in similar ways in different
browsers.

XHTML is something that will prove *very* useful in the future, as XHTML is
XML, and XML is easily transformable to any other document type.

As for the validation saying anything about the developer's quality, I'd say
that if validation is unnecessary, and th developer spends too much time on
it, it says something *negative* about the developer's quality. It
demonstrates a poor ability to prioritize.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Hard work is a medication for which
there is no placebo.

KMA

Thanks to both of you for the reply.

You're quite right in that it's something you have to try to stay on top of,
like gardening.

At first I was a bit shocked how ASP:NET(1.1) spits out so much invalid
html. But I was also surprised how easy it was to clean up the output.

My own goal in this is to make sure my pages render on mobile devices in the
future without much further effort.