    Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
    My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
    successful in finding it.

    (the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
    /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

    best,
    D.
    draphael, Dec 9, 2005

  2. draphael wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
    > My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
    > successful in finding it.
    >
    > (the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
    > /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

    The leading '.' in the filename means a hidden file on *nix systems sou
    it will not be visible withing many ftp/website file managers. With
    WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
    download and edit the file.

    see for syntax
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=.htaccess syntax&btnG=Search

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 9, 2005

  3. draphael

    draphael Guest

    > draphael wrote:
    >> Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
    >> My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
    >> successful in finding it.
    >>
    >> (the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client
    >> 65.65.96.190] /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

    > The leading '.' in the filename means a hidden file on *nix systems sou it
    > will not be visible withing many ftp/website file managers. With WS_FTP
    > your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to download
    > and edit the file.
    >
    > see for syntax
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=.htaccess syntax&btnG=Search
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan

    Hi Jonathan,

    Thanks! But I guess I wasn't very clear. I do know where the .htaccess file
    is! (And I have my FTP application configured to always show it on the
    server, because I edit it often.)

    It's the error in the .htaccess file that I can't find...that's why I was
    wondering if there's such a thing as an .htacess validator.

    best,
    D.
    draphael, Dec 9, 2005
  4. draphael wrote:

    > Hi Jonathan,
    >
    > Thanks! But I guess I wasn't very clear.

    I am afraid your are not...

    I do know where the .htaccess file
    > is! (And I have my FTP application configured to always show it on the
    > server, because I edit it often.)
    >
    > It's the error in the .htaccess file that I can't find...that's why I was
    > wondering if there's such a thing as an .htacess validator.

    ....without seeing what /is in/ your .httacces file we would have no
    clue! No validator, just instuctions. Google useful, the Apache manual
    has a whole section on the .htaccess file.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 9, 2005
  5. draphael

    kchayka Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > With
    > WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
    > download and edit the file.

    No you don't. Just enter "-al" (without the quotes) as directory list
    options. It will then show all hidden files.

    In the version of WS_FTP that I have, there is an input box in the far
    right column, under the MkDir button, where you can enter the option.
    You can make it the default display option as well.

    kchayka, Dec 10, 2005
  6. kchayka wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >>With
    >>WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
    >>download and edit the file.

    > No you don't. Just enter "-al" (without the quotes) as directory list
    > options. It will then show all hidden files.

    Version 8.03 WS_FTP Pro

    > In the version of WS_FTP that I have, there is an input box in the far
    > right column, under the MkDir button, where you can enter the option.
    > You can make it the default display option as well.

    if I put '-al' in said file mask box the hidden files still are not
    visible...The help file states on the topic of hidden files

    'You can transfer a hidden file if you know its name. To transfer a
    hidden file, make sure nothing is selected, and then click the Upload or
    Download arrow. You will be prompted for the file name.'

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 10, 2005
  7. On 09/12/2005 20:38, draphael wrote:

    > Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?

    Not to my knowledge, but the server will check the syntax as it parses
    it. Unfortunately, that does mean you'll have to wait until a request to
    that path, or deeper, causes the server to inspect the file.

    > My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
    > successful in finding it.
    >
    > (the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
    > /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

    The URL argument to a Redirect or RedirectMatch directive isn't a valid,
    absolute URL. For instance,

    Redirect /foo /bar

    will produce that error because /bar is only a path, which isn't sufficient.

    Redirect /foo http://www.example.com/bar

    on the other hand, will correctly map requests for

    /foo/...

    http://www.example.com/bar/...

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Dec 10, 2005
  8. draphael

    Don Guest

    "draphael" <> wrote in

    > Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
    > My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
    > successful in finding it.
    >
    > (the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client
    > 65.65.96.190] /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)
    >
    > best,
    > D.

    Not that I'm aware of!
    My own htacess rather large at 1600 lines.
    The file is forever getting additions, subtractions and lines combined.

    Most errors are simple syntax errors. (missing OR, (, ), [, ] or extras
    of the same.

    Upon becoming aware that a line is not functioning as intended?
    It generally takes from 1-2 for me to locate the error (fortuantely I've
    learned to be more careful when making changes).

    Some simple solutions are to create a duplicate TEMP copy and then use
    MS-Words Find functions. Other times I've taken to BOLD fonting specific
    characters to ease the repetition of reading the same crap over and
    again.

    With regular expressions and their complexity, there are simply too many
    options (and different ways too end up with the same outcome) for a
    creation tool or validator to be functional.

    Print the pages and go through each line individually.
    Make sure to use a room with very good lighting.
    Don, Dec 11, 2005
  9. draphael

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:04:18 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >draphael wrote:
    >> Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
    >> My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
    >> successful in finding it.
    >>
    >> (the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
    >> /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

    >The leading '.' in the filename means a hidden file on *nix systems sou
    >it will not be visible withing many ftp/website file managers. With
    >WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
    >download and edit the file.

    Actually you just put
    -al
    in the little window on the right and that makes it visible. You
    might have to click refresh (in WS_FTP) as well.

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk/
    The buffalo have gone
    Big Bill, Dec 11, 2005
  10. draphael

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:10:54 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >kchayka wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>
    >>>With
    >>>WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
    >>>download and edit the file.

    >> No you don't. Just enter "-al" (without the quotes) as directory list
    >> options. It will then show all hidden files.

    >Version 8.03 WS_FTP Pro
    >>
    >> In the version of WS_FTP that I have, there is an input box in the far
    >> right column, under the MkDir button, where you can enter the option.
    >> You can make it the default display option as well.
    >>

    >if I put '-al' in said file mask box the hidden files still are not
    >visible

    Hit refresh.

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk/
    The buffalo have gone
    Big Bill, Dec 11, 2005
  11. Big Bill wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:10:54 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>kchayka wrote:

    >>>No you don't. Just enter "-al" (without the quotes) as directory list
    >>>options. It will then show all hidden files.

    >>Version 8.03 WS_FTP Pro
    >>
    >>>In the version of WS_FTP that I have, there is an input box in the far
    >>>right column, under the MkDir button, where you can enter the option.
    >>>You can make it the default display option as well.
    >>>

    >>if I put '-al' in said file mask box the hidden files still are not
    >>visible

    > Hit refresh.

    Did NO-GO. I have a htaccess and a hidden folder, neither with show on
    remote server. The quote I gave was directly from the hep file.

    WS_FTP Help:
    'You can transfer a hidden file if you know its name. To transfer a
    hidden file, make sure nothing is selected, and then click the Upload or
    Download arrow. You will be prompted for the file name.'

    Maybe they have changed this in new versions...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 11, 2005
  12. draphael

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:07:12 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:10:54 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Version 8.03 WS_FTP Pro

    >>>if I put '-al' in said file mask box the hidden files still are not
    >>>visible

    >> Hit refresh.

    >Did NO-GO. I have a htaccess and a hidden folder, neither with show on
    >remote server. The quote I gave was directly from the hep file.
    >
    >WS_FTP Help:
    >'You can transfer a hidden file if you know its name. To transfer a
    >hidden file, make sure nothing is selected, and then click the Upload or
    >Download arrow. You will be prompted for the file name.'
    >
    >Maybe they have changed this in new versions...

    I'm using the Win95 version.

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk/
    The buffalo have gone
    Big Bill, Dec 11, 2005
  13. Big Bill wrote:
    <snip>
    > I'm using the Win95 version.

    One of the LE versions, when they use to let us have it for free? (I
    actually won my pro version when they has the site of the week contest)

    The old LE version did a number of things that I miss, like putting
    little log file in each folder where you transfered files so all you had
    to do is sort by modified date to see edited files to update. Now they
    have a more complicated synchronizing app which is good but on dialup a
    little slower :-(

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan