validate .htaccess?

draphael

Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
successful in finding it.

(the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
/home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

best,
D.

Jonathan N. Little

draphael said:
Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
successful in finding it.

(the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
/home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

The leading '.' in the filename means a hidden file on *nix systems sou
it will not be visible withing many ftp/website file managers. With
WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
download and edit the file.

see for syntax
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=.htaccess+syntax&btnG=Search

draphael

Jonathan N. Little said:
draphael said:
Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
successful in finding it.

(the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client
65.65.96.190] /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

The leading '.' in the filename means a hidden file on *nix systems sou it
will not be visible withing many ftp/website file managers. With WS_FTP
your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to download
and edit the file.

see for syntax
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=.htaccess+syntax&btnG=Search

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks! But I guess I wasn't very clear. I do know where the .htaccess file
is! (And I have my FTP application configured to always show it on the
server, because I edit it often.)

It's the error in the .htaccess file that I can't find...that's why I was
wondering if there's such a thing as an .htacess validator.

best,
D.

Jonathan N. Little

draphael said:
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks! But I guess I wasn't very clear.

I am afraid your are not...

I do know where the .htaccess file
is! (And I have my FTP application configured to always show it on the
server, because I edit it often.)

It's the error in the .htaccess file that I can't find...that's why I was
wondering if there's such a thing as an .htacess validator.

....without seeing what /is in/ your .httacces file we would have no
clue! No validator, just instuctions. Google useful, the Apache manual
has a whole section on the .htaccess file.

kchayka

Jonathan said:
With
WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
download and edit the file.

No you don't. Just enter "-al" (without the quotes) as directory list
options. It will then show all hidden files.

In the version of WS_FTP that I have, there is an input box in the far
right column, under the MkDir button, where you can enter the option.
You can make it the default display option as well.

Jonathan N. Little

kchayka said:
No you don't. Just enter "-al" (without the quotes) as directory list
options. It will then show all hidden files.

Version 8.03 WS_FTP Pro
In the version of WS_FTP that I have, there is an input box in the far
right column, under the MkDir button, where you can enter the option.
You can make it the default display option as well.

if I put '-al' in said file mask box the hidden files still are not
visible...The help file states on the topic of hidden files

'You can transfer a hidden file if you know its name. To transfer a
hidden file, make sure nothing is selected, and then click the Upload or
Download arrow. You will be prompted for the file name.'

Michael Winter

Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?

Not to my knowledge, but the server will check the syntax as it parses
it. Unfortunately, that does mean you'll have to wait until a request to
that path, or deeper, causes the server to inspect the file.
My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
successful in finding it.

(the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
/home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

The URL argument to a Redirect or RedirectMatch directive isn't a valid,
absolute URL. For instance,

Redirect /foo /bar

will produce that error because /bar is only a path, which isn't sufficient.

Redirect /foo http://www.example.com/bar

on the other hand, will correctly map requests for

/foo/...

http://www.example.com/bar/...

Mike

Don

Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
successful in finding it.

(the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client
65.65.96.190] /home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

best,
D.

Not that I'm aware of!
My own htacess rather large at 1600 lines.
The file is forever getting additions, subtractions and lines combined.

Most errors are simple syntax errors. (missing OR, (, ), [, ] or extras
of the same.

Upon becoming aware that a line is not functioning as intended?
It generally takes from 1-2 for me to locate the error (fortuantely I've
learned to be more careful when making changes).

Some simple solutions are to create a duplicate TEMP copy and then use
MS-Words Find functions. Other times I've taken to BOLD fonting specific
characters to ease the repetition of reading the same crap over and
again.

With regular expressions and their complexity, there are simply too many
options (and different ways too end up with the same outcome) for a
creation tool or validator to be functional.

Print the pages and go through each line individually.
Make sure to use a room with very good lighting.

Big Bill

draphael said:
Is there such a thing as an .htaccess validator?
My error log shows a problem in my .htaccess file, and I haven't been
successful in finding it.

(the error reads: [Mon Dec 5 20:12:47 2005] [alert] [client 65.65.96.190]
/home/mysite/public_html/.htaccess: Redirect to non-URL)

The leading '.' in the filename means a hidden file on *nix systems sou
it will not be visible withing many ftp/website file managers. With
WS_FTP your must expressly type the filename '.htaccess' to be able to
download and edit the file.

Actually you just put
-al
in the little window on the right and that makes it visible. You
might have to click refresh (in WS_FTP) as well.

BB

Jonathan N. Little

Big said:
Hit refresh.

Did NO-GO. I have a htaccess and a hidden folder, neither with show on
remote server. The quote I gave was directly from the hep file.

WS_FTP Help:
'You can transfer a hidden file if you know its name. To transfer a
hidden file, make sure nothing is selected, and then click the Upload or
Download arrow. You will be prompted for the file name.'

Maybe they have changed this in new versions...

Big Bill

Did NO-GO. I have a htaccess and a hidden folder, neither with show on
remote server. The quote I gave was directly from the hep file.

WS_FTP Help:
'You can transfer a hidden file if you know its name. To transfer a
hidden file, make sure nothing is selected, and then click the Upload or
Download arrow. You will be prompted for the file name.'

Maybe they have changed this in new versions...

I'm using the Win95 version.

BB

Jonathan N. Little

Big Bill wrote:
I'm using the Win95 version.

One of the LE versions, when they use to let us have it for free? (I
actually won my pro version when they has the site of the week contest)

The old LE version did a number of things that I miss, like putting
little log file in each folder where you transfered files so all you had
to do is sort by modified date to see edited files to update. Now they
have a more complicated synchronizing app which is good but on dialup a
little slower :-(