Validating heterogeneous XML

Discussion in 'XML' started by kj, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    The main rationale I have seen for namespace support in XML is to
    enable the peaceful coexistence of XML fragments from various
    sources within the same ("heterogeneous") XML document without
    their trampling over each other's namespaces.

    What about the validation of such "heterogeneous" XML documents?

    Not only are various fragments probably governed by different
    syntaxes, but these syntaxes are probably specified using different
    languages (DTDs, XML Schema, etc.).

    How are all these competing standards and diverse syntatic
    specifications brought together to validate a heterogeneous XML
    document?

    Thanks!

    kj

    --
    NOTE: In my address everything before the period is backwards.

    kj, Apr 15, 2004

  2. kj

    Ashmodai Guest

    kj scribbled something along the lines of:
    > The main rationale I have seen for namespace support in XML is to
    > enable the peaceful coexistence of XML fragments from various
    > sources within the same ("heterogeneous") XML document without
    > their trampling over each other's namespaces.
    >
    > What about the validation of such "heterogeneous" XML documents?
    >
    > Not only are various fragments probably governed by different
    > syntaxes, but these syntaxes are probably specified using different
    > languages (DTDs, XML Schema, etc.).
    >
    > How are all these competing standards and diverse syntatic
    > specifications brought together to validate a heterogeneous XML
    > document?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > kj

    The only way to get them DTD valid is to use a DTD which is made for the
    chosen combination (XHTML + MathML or so is such a DTD, another one is
    XHTML + MathML + SVG), although these usually specify a prefix you have
    to use.

    The better solution is to use only schemas. The only standardized way to
    link a namespace to a schema the W3C has brought up so far is the
    schemaLocation attribute. According to the specs that one only
    *suggests* a schema tho, it doesn't directly bind it to the namespace.

    I personally think a PI or similar would be a better choice, same goes
    for entity definition lists (there was a thread on this issue on
    )...

    --
    Alan Plum, WAD/WD, Mushroom Cloud Productions
    http://www.mushroom-cloud.com/

    Ashmodai, Apr 15, 2004